Dapol O Gauge 'Sentinel'

Discuss Dapol Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Richard08

Dapol O Gauge 'Sentinel'

Post by Richard08 »

I don't do steam. Well, almost. I saw these when they first came out and kind of liked the BR Engineers version. Always in the back of my mind to operate the layout (more working diorama really) was the hassle of coupling/uncoupling, so I hatched a cunning plan - get an 03 to go with 08 and then just push the wagons round (there is a platform, but coaches take up way too much room!) so I can sit on my bum and play. 03s cost way too much, but this little beaut came up on eBay. The camera flash doesn't do the weathering any favours (glare/shiny look to everything - even the ballast!), it looks much nicer in the flesh. Now impatiently waiting for the DCC chip... The *real* reason for getting it is, of course, the flickering fire box :-) How this came to be still around in 1980ish is a long and complicated story that I will invent shortly. It's a lovely model, dare I say even better than Dapol's 08. Yep, that's one of the sand boxes in with the coal, a quick fix.
Attachments
DSC01251.resized.JPG
Bigmet

Re: Dapol O Gauge 'Sentinel'

Post by Bigmet »

Looks suitably scuzzy for an old bit of kit 'hidden away'; really good weathering job. I believe the engineers department have installed a diesel motor in the old water tank for traction purposes, and the cabin now has a coal stove instead of the boiler for cooking and heat, and several comfortable chairs. Back story, I once 'discovered' a grounded caravan with electrical power and mains water supply hidden behind the outdoor pallet and stillage stacks of a large concern. When you are necessarily working outside in all weathers, a cosy cabin is vital. (A way superior non-fire hazard replacement was constructed.)
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Due to their use by companies with their own sidings Sentinels were to be found well beyond the 1968 "end of Steam" There was one worked the foundry sidings where I grew up. It would potter along pushing a couple of wagons which it would attach to the growing string in the loop where the siding met the spur from the marshalling yard. It would then reverse and pull forward into the other side of the loop and remove another couple from the diminishing string delivered by an 08. By pushing them in and pulling them out the loop provided an answer to the Sentinel not being allowed on BR metals and the drivers of the 08 not being allowed/prepared to go "Off BR" I never did get to see what was at the other end of the siding. By the time the M6 came along and provided a high level view of the site they were pulling it all down to build houses on it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I don't do 'O', but have one of these (Pristine) a sweet little runner
with it's Modelu driver. For anyone wanting to play with a small 'O'
layout it's the ideal.
That one really is a tired machine.

Geoff T.