French or British?

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
Chops

French or British?

Post by Chops »

20170909_163237-e1504994575516-321x570.jpg
20170909_163237-e1504994575516-321x570.jpg (66.01 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
A chum suggested I add this to Henley. With the flying buttresses, it looks ever so French, or should I say, "Saxon?" Is this a relic that would be relevant to UK history? Seriously, I do not know. Britain is sort of this unending parade of history that frequently defeats me.

Lately, been pondering through the different ages of Neolithic, copper, bronze, iron, and a little steel. Barely nicks the surface, excuse the pun.
Nessie rocks!
Bigmet

Re: French or British?

Post by Bigmet »

Wanna cause a riot in France? Try telling them they are Saxons!

Building style is Gothic, and very much French, although the kit designer hasn't understood the flying buttress: it's half an arch, for maximum efficiency the peak of the buttress arch rests against the supported wall or pillar. There is extensive Gothic architecture in Britain, but not quite as excitingly developed as by the French, with their general taste for taking things just a little too far...
Chops wrote:...Britain is sort of this unending parade of history that frequently defeats me.

Lately, been pondering through the different ages of Neolithic, copper, bronze, iron, and a little steel...
British archipelago occupation is relatively simple. Because it was uninhabitable before the most recent ice retreat, there has only been continuous human occupation to present date since the late Neolithic. What is becoming apparent is that the reoccupation was pretty rapid as soon as there was land and sea access. Some of the earliest building is on Eire and the northern islands off Scotland, which implies some boating was involved. The architectural style clearly imported from the lands around the Mediterranean, the coasts of which remained habitable during the glaciation. (Just been to see some of the Flag Fen and Must Farm exhibits, and those folks were definitely boating about their muddy fenland from the late neolithic/early bronze age.)
jed10

Post by jed10 »

It could be either, as you wish to suit your layout. The pointed arches signify it is of the gothic/mediaeval period of architecture, around 12th/13th century. There were a lot of abbeys built across Europe at that time, in fact it was the most prolific period for building grand abbey churches. There are many examples of mediaeval abbey ruins around the uk. For example, if you google pictures of Tintern Abbey you will see that this has similarities with your model.

In some places, such as Mont St Michel in France you can see both Norman and Mediaeval architecture as these places took many years to build and skills and styles developed over that period.

If the subject of how these grand abbeys were built across Europe and you also want to find out more about the differences and transition from Norman to Mediaeval architecture then I recommend you read Ken Follett's novel Pillars Of The Earth and it's two sequals which are also a really good story.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It is interesting. The cross patterns look more European but the overall structure could pass as British but there again Belgium also springs to mind...
It does not really matter as if it on your British layout it is British and to be honest, it does have a style that could fit in here. I like it!

Not too far away I know of at least two cathederal remains from long ago when they were burned down due to the reformation.with King Henry Vlll (8th).
Chops

Post by Chops »

Thank you for most edifying replies. From what I've read on the subject, is that Britain seems to have been inhabited, maybe, five times, each
successive habitation being rinsed off by glacial activity? To that I would reference Bryson, though it is one of those areas that the more I read, the less I know. I am hopeless bogged down by all the invasions and re-inventions of Greater Britain. Fold the various ages, lithic, copper, bronze, and iron, and then I'm really out to sea. Toss in Doggerland just to completely obfuscate the entire boggle.

Gothic, but of course, it is from a wargame set. The buttresses aren't really flying in that image, more so in other versions.

Think I will pop on it. If one castle is good, two have to be better. Faller, I think, makes a nice Roman Baths excavation, as well. And, I am planning on a small bit of granite tramway track, to boot. Something I first saw at the age of six whilst mucking about in the UK. Even then it made a strong impression upon me. So ancient, and yet so vivid. Long forgotten, but still quite there.

Then, I saw the price of the thing. Cardstock looks better all the time.

For the same reason, I also sneak on Spanish Electrotren wagons, and the occasional Joeuf SCN, into Henley, as to Americans, anything with a buffer is European, ergo, British. Please do not tell them that, and I will refrain from calling the French "Saxons."
Nessie rocks!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Chops wrote:Thank you for most edifying replies. From what I've read on the subject, is that Britain seems to have been inhabited, maybe, five times, each successive habitation being rinsed off by glacial activity? To that I would reference Bryson, though it is one of those areas that the more I read, the less I know. I am hopeless bogged down by all the invasions and re-inventions of Greater Britain. Fold the various ages, lithic, copper, bronze, and iron, and then I'm really out to sea. Toss in Doggerland just to completely obfuscate the entire boggle...

Shouldn't worry, the story is still in 'active development' as university archaeology departments continue their relentless expansion. The Neanderthals are getting a progressive reappraisal: they have now advanced from the original assessment of hairy knuckle draggers who grunted at each other, to culturally and technically sophisticated types who if they managed to survive the most recent European glacial advance and retreat, then interbred with the following wave of emigration out of Africa as the sun came out again (for a while).

A relatively recent find of ancient hunting spears has led to changed thinking. When reproduced for trialling they were found to be functionally much as a modern competition javelin, executed in wood; rather than a sharpened pole for prodding cornered prey to death.
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2019/jan/nea ... l-distance
Chops

Post by Chops »

Again, a most edifying reply. I am rewatching another, there seem to be hundreds, documentary about Romano Britain. Trying desperately to cling onto some important details that drop from memory like badly manufactured sticky notes.

What is emerging from the murk is that by no means were the balance of ancient Britains a hospitable bunch to the marauding Claudius and the successive waves of his generals. Particular the Welsh, before Buddica, even, who thrashed the Romans to a standstill for the better part of a hundred years. Not even considering the Picts. (I do have a smattering of Hadrain's Wall, in Henley, a few hundred miles out of place, as a gesture to that fascinating article, which preceded our own president's efforts).

The Neanderthals are a particularly curious lot. From some things I've read, the larnyx was judged to be lower in the throat than that of Sapiens. This would have, as the theory went, reduced the number of utterable consonants to be reduced by at least a factor of three. No, I am not making this stuff up. Ergo, the idea is that being a little more limited in speech than their Sapien colleagues, they were less effective at sharing information, whether that related to hunting large game, or stringing shells together. The level of acculturation does not appear to be demonstrated as the two Neandralthalian artifacts, beyond their rocks and three wooden spears that somehow survived, is a crude circle of stones in a Spanish cave, that suggests ritualistic activity. That of course, and fossilized flower pollen in Israel, suggesting flowers upon a grave.

Getting back to the original question, the sci-fi Gothic church is made so much less attractive by its astonishing price tag.
Nessie rocks!