Earlier Bachmann steam models with steel axles running in mazak locations in the chassis block casting

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

Earlier Bachmann steam models with steel axles running in mazak locations in the chassis block casting

Post by Bigmet »

This applies to all the earlier 'Blue Riband' series of models introduced from the late 1990s, until about 2008, after which Bachmann switched to brass bearing inserts on subsequent newly tooled introductions; and very specifically nothing to do with the initial launch products on 'split chassis' mechanisms.

I have seen some comments online that these may not wear as well as the alternative of having steel axles in brass bearings. I have a number of these - examples of WD 2-8-0, BR 5MT, Pepp A1, K3, BR 9F -which have been in continuous use now for fifteen to twenty+ years, and all of them with significant added weight to enhance traction. All have been grease lubricated, and run smoothly and quietly. Inspected a few this afternoon. Wear negligible. I daresay they can be made to wear badly if left running dry, but a modern plastics compatible grease does the job of minimising wear very well. Since they all have extra weight added, and some twice the weight bearing on the driven wheel axles compared to ex-factory condition, I don't think there is much to worry about.