Repainting and Varnish advice needed

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Ken Shabby

Repainting and Varnish advice needed

Post by Ken Shabby »

Hi,
This only a repaint I'm afraid , but this seemed like the best place to ask.
This old Hornby Mk2 body has been brush painted with acrylic paint. I recently gave up on enamel paint, and I'm finding acrylics far easier to use .
This was only intended to be a practise piece and it's inspired by the Green and Cream Mk2 coaches used in Scotland in the late eighties.
I'm quite pleased with how it's turned out and so I'm intending to retrieve the rest of it from the spares box and reassemble and get it back into service. I'm concerned that the paint finish may not very robust and that as it's semi matt, it may be difficult to attach transfers.
Therefore I'm looking for some advice on what varnish to use ?
I was intending to give it a coat of gloss varnish, add the transfers then go over it again with satin varnish. The last varnish I bought was (I think) Humbrol satin in a aerosol , It was a nightmare to use because no matter how much you rattled the can, it wouldn't cover evenly, instead it spat big spots of varnish all over the model.
Cheers, Ken
20220403_171352.jpg
JasonR

Re: Repainting and Varnish advice needed

Post by JasonR »

Try Johnson's Klear.
It can either be airbrushed or applied with a flat brush.
In a world where you can be anything - BE KIND.

Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Jase
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

This is my choice of varnish https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pebeo-Solvent- ... ast_sto_dp it says for acrylic colours, but I use it on everything, it works great, doesn't even react with the methylcyclohexane/ethanol based gold I use for lining.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

I took a gamble and went with Humbrol acrylic gloss spray varnish again. It worked fine, but I'd like to start using Klear as I've heard a lot of good things about it. Does anyone know if It's available on the High street ?, I know they changed the name and packaging a while back.
Ken
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Just use Halfords car varnish... its cheaper and you get more of it :lol:

The klear stuff only done by good art shops, personally I found it quite poor and always tacky to touch and never drying fully.
The Humbrol stuff is hit an miss and depending on temperatures it can often react with itself, so the can needs to be warmed through in warm water.
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
rejrob

Post by rejrob »

Hi Ken,glad to see stuff being reused.Having made one or two coaches and locos ,I am not too keen on spray varnish with blobs and such but I use humbrol satin varnish in their tinlet with a good quality brush also if poss choose a day not too hot as the varnish gets tacky quicker Hope this helps and the coach looks great Ron