Buffer and couplings.

What are you up to on your workbench
barney121e

Buffer and couplings.

Post by barney121e »

Just wondering how easy it is to get hold of replacement buffers and couplings? Done a quick search and seems quite a few different types of buffers. How would i work out if i can get a replacement?

Any help much appreciated.
End2end

Re: Buffer and couplings.

Post by End2end »

Have a read of this. ;)
https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... hp?t=54683
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
End2end

Post by End2end »

Just as an aside, have you heard of the 'Brian Kirby' method of uncoupling?
https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... hp?t=48368
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

Cheers @End2End

that is interesting about the couplers, more reading to do. I asked about buffers and sometimes a model is listed with a buffer missing, and was wondering how easy they were to replace.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Hi Barney
Just Google "sprung buffers" because of the way Chrome does its word matching you'll get loads of hits. Most on line dealers stock some kind or other. I usually buy the Bachman ones they come complete with head, shank and body, so if the body is cracked or chipped you can cut it back flush to the buffer beam and mount the whole thing. If it's just the head and shank that have pulled out it's just a case of pushing in the replacement.
Buffers could get replaced, and not always in full sets. Wagons with different buffers at each end weren't unknown and different heads at each end of the beam have been seen. A wagon or coach with a missing buffer would never be allowed out, so a fully matching set wasn't always the case.
Cheers
JohnW
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

You can make buffers. I have done so in the past. It all depends on what one can find that is suitable to make them from. It also helps if one can save the time and buy them but that spoils the fun! :D

Couplings can vary as it all depends what one is fitting them to and what type of coupling is used.

Commercially speaking in theory most buffers and couplings should be available but sometimes the hobby goes with periods of lack, and then someone has a load made and they become plentiful again (And usually two or three anufacturers will suddenly see the lack and come out with spares at the same time!)

Keep an eye on places like Peters Spares and this New Railway Modellers shop site and also places like Elaines Trains and Hattons etc for spares. Slowly develop a spares box for things like this. Is useful to have a few spares as parts do break or spring off and vanish at times.