Heritage plan- Update 9/6/22

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
barney121e

Re: Heritage plan- Update 9/6/22

Post by barney121e »

End2end wrote:Yes that's it. :)
Could you possibly draw the buildings placements on the plan roughly. Station, engine shed etc.
I think I see another snag but need to see where / how it will interact with the buildings.
Thanks
End2end
Here you go.
snowypeco17rvsepoint.jpg
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks barney.
Will you be running freight as well as passenger stock?
I'll assume you are, for this reply.

Travelling clockwise, on the outer track, a freight train can cross the inner track into the engine shed sidings.

The whole train can then be reversed into the siding above the signal box to release the engine which can then proceed back to the engine shed.
If this is the case then the siding above the signal box is too short I think.
It needs to be able to take a train length similar to the engine shed sidings, making sure the whole train including the engine can drive into the siding enough to clear the points and passing trains.

The alternative. (and to match the amount of dead end sidings on the rear) could be to have 2 sidings behind the signal box too rather than just 1, basically roughly mirroring the bottom left hand dead end sidings.
These could either be 2 freight sidings, or 1 siding used for a shunter loco with possibly a smaller engine shed for the shunter.

Freight train drives into original engine shed siding uncoupling the freight rolling stock.
Shunter loco drives into original engine shed siding couples up and pulls the freight rolling stock into one of the opposite sidings clearing the original engine.

If reversing into the engine shed sidings with a freight train from the inner loop (anti-clockwise)....

Train reverses into engine shed siding. (uncoupling the loco).
Loco drives forward into one of the 2 sidings behind the signal box.
Shunter in other siding behind the signal box then couples up and shunts the train back along the engine shed siding.
Original loco reverses into the other engine shed siding.
Shunter shunts train into the freight sidings.
Original loco freed and ready to use again.
Movement complete.

But with all that said, Rule Number 1 stands. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
End2end

Post by End2end »

2 more things I've just noticed.
Don't forget to give the passengers a way to get to the station. :mrgreen:
It could just be the ramp at the end of the platform with a bridge across the tracks to the other platform.

You may need to push the platforms slightly away from the track because where the 2 points are positioned in the bottom left hand corner, when a trains crosses from one track to another the end of long rolling stock will swing out further than the sleepers.

Hold a pair of pencils upright pointing down (secured with a rubber band along the length of the coach), on the sides of a long coach at one end.
Roll the coach through the points whilst the pencils mark the baseboard to see the maximum swing the rolling stock needs.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

End2end wrote:2 more things I've just noticed.
Don't forget to give the passengers a way to get to the station. :mrgreen:
It could just be the ramp at the end of the platform with a bridge across the tracks to the other platform.

You may need to push the platforms slightly away from the track because where the 2 points are positioned in the bottom left hand corner, when a trains crosses from one track to another the end of long rolling stock will swing out further than the sleepers.

Hold a pair of pencils upright pointing down (secured with a rubber band along the length of the coach), on the sides of a long coach at one end.
Roll the coach through the points whilst the pencils mark the baseboard to see the maximum swing the rolling stock needs.
Thanks
End2end
Thanks

There is the possibilty of having the station on the corner, or having the engine shed at a slightly different angle. And the second track behind the signal box is a good idea.

Thanks for all your help.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Or, if your sticking with the curved points, you could just move the curved points on the left hand side 1 track position back/down towards the station and remove the straight pair of points altogether. :idea:
The 2 curved points joining at the 9 o clock position relative to the layout plan.

They will still serve the same purpose as the straight pair.
Getting a train from the inner loop to the outer for clockwise "left hand running" after exiting the sidings.

This will also give some space to extend the platforms around the curve somewhat too. :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

End2end wrote:Or, if your sticking with the curved points, you could just move the curved points on the left hand side 1 track position back/down towards the station and remove the straight pair of points altogether. :idea:
The 2 curved points joining at the 9 o clock position relative to the layout plan.

They will still serve the same purpose as the straight pair.
Getting a train from the inner loop to the outer for clockwise "left hand running" after exiting the sidings.

This will also give some space to extend the platforms around the curve somewhat too. :)
Thanks
End2end
Ok, now your confusing me about curved points. How could i do away with the curved points?
End2end

Post by End2end »

Sorry for the confusion.
Each pair of main line points you have on the left hand side of the plan do basically the same thing.
Access from one track to another.
With the straight points causing an issue due to station / platform placement. Removing the straight points (replaced with normal straight track) and using the curved points to change tracks instead removes the problem.

Matching the real world, your outer loop train would travel clockwise and the inner loop trains anti-clockwise.

Here's what I mean about removing the straight points and keeping the curved points for track transition.
Excuse my drawing. I only have paint on this pc. :wink:
layoutbarney.jpg
As you can see, by moving those curved points around the bend from where they are in the plan (moving them anti-clockwise, closer to the station by 1 piece) means you can extend the platform around the bend giving you longer platforms and thus longer trains can be accommodated at the station. :)

If you already have some loose tracks you can connect a few together to get an idea of how long a train you could fit.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

I've also just noticed something else that I glaringly missed which could override all of my posts above. :lol:

You could get rid of both the straight points at the station AND all curved points. :o :lol:
I'll explain my thinking.

The main set of points on the layout are the pair on the main running lines by the signal box.
These will dictate which loop the exiting train (from the front sidings) will end up on.
Outer loop clockwise or Inner loop anti-clockwise.

As you will ALWAYS have to reverse a train out of the sidings if it will travel in a clockwise direction, these points will be the only points needed to get the train onto the outer loop.
(Reverse onto the outer loop, throw the points then drive forwards)
On the inner loop you can just drive straight out of the sidings once any train is compiled, complete with loco first.

As you have 2 dead end sidings for each loop on the rear of the layout, I'm not sure you need to change from one loop to the other anywhere else making the other 3 pairs of points redundant ..and also save you some money. :)

I would still say 2 sidings behind the signal box though. The same length (or more) as the engine shed sidings if possible.
Even a buffer stop can take up valuable track length.

And rolling stock travels better with a bit of weight added, especially backwards (being pushed by the loco instead of pulled) I tend to find.

The engine shed and it's sidings could stay as shown the plan too.
Straight track is a lot easier to install some sort of uncoupling method than curved track.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

End2end wrote:I've also just noticed something else that I glaringly missed which could override all of my posts above. :lol:

You could get rid of both the straight points at the station AND all curved points. :o :lol:
I'll explain my thinking.

The main set of points on the layout are the pair on the main running lines by the signal box.
These will dictate which loop the exiting train (from the front sidings) will end up on.
Outer loop clockwise or Inner loop anti-clockwise.

As you will ALWAYS have to reverse a train out of the sidings if it will travel in a clockwise direction, these points will be the only points needed to get the train onto the outer loop.
(Reverse onto the outer loop, throw the points then drive forwards)
On the inner loop you can just drive straight out of the sidings once any train is compiled, complete with loco first.

As you have 2 dead end sidings for each loop on the rear of the layout, I'm not sure you need to change from one loop to the other anywhere else making the other 3 pairs of points redundant ..and also save you some money. :)

I would still say 2 sidings behind the signal box though. The same length (or more) as the engine shed sidings if possible.
Even a buffer stop can take up valuable track length.

And rolling stock travels better with a bit of weight added, especially backwards (being pushed by the loco instead of pulled) I tend to find.

The engine shed and it's sidings could stay as shown the plan too.
Straight track is a lot easier to install some sort of uncoupling method than curved track.
Thanks
End2end
Something like this?
snowypeco17 nocurve.jpg
End2end

Post by End2end »

Exactly that. :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

End2end wrote:Exactly that. :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
Thanks

Though about plan all day, and definitely will work for me.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Excellent. :D
Glad I could help.
One thing I never asked is will the layout be DC or DCC?

As a newcomer myself I went the DCC route. I needed to replace the fishplates with Insulating fishplates on the V rails of each point.

Also..
After laying all my track I ended up with a short circuit that we (forum members and I) could not fathom for ages.
It was a brand new yet faulty point, so check to make sure they are all OK before you lay the points.
A simple battery, 2 bits of wire (or croc clips) and an LED will do.
Make sure you have the LED the correct way round ( + & -) as LEDs only light up one way.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

End2end wrote:Excellent. :D
Glad I could help.
One thing I never asked is will the layout be DC or DCC?

As a newcomer myself I went the DCC route. I needed to replace the fishplates with Insulating fishplates on the V rails of each point.

Also..
After laying all my track I ended up with a short circuit that we (forum members and I) could not fathom for ages.
It was a brand new yet faulty point, so check to make sure they are all OK before you lay the points.
A simple battery, 2 bits of wire (or croc clips) and an LED will do.
Make sure you have the LED the correct way round ( + & -) as LEDs only light up one way.
Thanks
End2end
Think it will be DC, although DCC is not out of the question. Been learning how to clean motors and even got a non runner running. I do have a new soldering iron i need to practice to see how i get on with it, as could decide if dcc might be way to go.
End2end

Post by End2end »

With DC (I think), if there aren't additional isolated tracks or sections, when you turn the controller up you may end up controlling (moving) more than the single desired loco.

With DCC only the train assigned to the controller at the time will be under control, whilst other loco's can be sitting on the SAME track with any lighting and or sound options turned on, or indeed running. (Double-heading for example - using 2 loco's on the front of a train instead of one loco)
And 2 loco's in a single track siding for example.
You can move the front loco out of the siding whilst the other loco behind stays still.

With DC (again using the same example of 2 loco's in a single track siding) you'd need to cut the track (say half way along the siding) so the bufferstop end of the siding could be isolated from the entry end of the siding to move the front loco without moving the loco behind.

I hope that all makes sense.?? :?
Sorry. Only got 5 hours last night. My brain is rebelling. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

Also, as I look at your plan and if you choose the DCC route, one of those top single track sidings could double up as a DCC programming track. :idea:
I've done roughly the same thing on my own layout.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building