Heritage plan- Update 9/6/22

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
barney121e

Heritage plan- Update 9/6/22

Post by barney121e »

Have poste din other topics with various question but thought i would put the final two plans i have in mind in a seperate topic. The first one was one i saw on youtube and for which the guy has used the same plan for three different layouts, just changing buildings. The second one is a Hornby track plan which would give me a double run around the board, probably no fiddle area and with limited shunting potential. The first plan of course has shunting potential but a little less room for scenics, which is something i mam looking to get me hands on.

If anyone can see any problems with either plan, please let me know.
middyoocracked.jpg
hornby1.jpg
Last edited by barney121e on Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barney121e

Re: Heritage plan

Post by barney121e »

So with some help from others have come up with the final plan for the layout, possibly. Wondering if i should put a point at the bottom right before the line to the goods yard, and run a line to the right for maybe a loco shed. Of course could just do some nice scenery in the bottom right instead. Have also started baseboard, pic below.
hornby5.jpg
hornby5baseboard.jpg
End2end

Post by End2end »

barney121e wrote:Wondering if i should put a point at the bottom right before the line to the goods yard, and run a line to the right for maybe a loco shed.
Just throwing ideas around again... For the goods line would the engine shed not be more practical attached to the goods line.
A secondary loco could then release the original loco from the front of the goods train, reversing the goods wagons into the new long siding (bottom right in RED).
Then once the original loco is cleared (reversed in to the engine shed / enginge shed siding) the whole train with the 2nd loco can push the goods wagons into the goods sidings on the left.
I've changed 2 pieces of track to points (circled in yellow) to give 2 extra sidings, one for the engine shed and one for the release of a train from it's loco.
See what you think. :)

Also are you considering a scenic break? With the rear passing loop, the single long siding could potentially become a 2nd station :idea:
hornby5e2eb.jpg
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

End2end wrote:
barney121e wrote:Wondering if i should put a point at the bottom right before the line to the goods yard, and run a line to the right for maybe a loco shed.
Just throwing ideas around again... For the goods line would the engine shed not be more practical attached to the goods line.
A secondary loco could then release the original loco from the front of the goods train, reversing the goods wagons into the new long siding (bottom right in RED).
Then once the original loco is cleared (reversed in to the engine shed / enginge shed siding) the whole train with the 2nd loco can push the goods wagons into the goods sidings on the left.
I've changed 2 pieces of track to points (circled in yellow) to give 2 extra sidings, one for the engine shed and one for the release of a train from it's loco.
See what you think. :)

Also are you considering a scenic break? With the rear passing loop, the single long siding could potentially become a 2nd station :idea:
hornby5e2eb.jpg
Thanks
End2end
Love the loco shed extension, definitely worth doing. Not sure on scenic break or the second station. Being trying to decide which way to go. I always thought a scenic break was way to go but with size issues wondering if better to have it all on show.
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

So finished baseboard, sort of and laid the track plan above.
ooplanhornby5a.jpg
ooplanhornby5b.jpg
Looks ok to me, with the space i have free.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Looks great. :D
Only other thing I'd say is, add small straight pieces of track (cut to length from another/spare piece of straight track) to the front 4 sidings to give the maximum length possible.
A bufferstop at the end of a siding may take up to a 1/3 or even half a wagons length depending which is used! Bare that in mind. ;)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
barney121e

Re: Heritage plan - Update

Post by barney121e »

Hi All

So since my last post i have trying to work out a plan that works for me. Have now got 8x4 to play with, with access all round. Did play with the plan above but want to try and loose the 1st radius curves, which then leaves the plan as an oval.

Have 2 other possibilities, the first plan is fine but for some reason when i cut the flexi track the rails move when connecting up and driving me mad. The other plan is actually a n gauge plan which i have sized up. Do have more width than shown. Just wondering what people thought of plans.

Cheers
extended8x4finalplan.jpg
ngaugetooobuild.jpg
End2end

Re: Heritage plan- Update 9/6/22

Post by End2end »

Briefly...
Plan 1 - I've heard tell curves points can be...troublesome shall we say.

Plan 2 - With the goods shed attached to one side of the layout but close to the engine shed, which is connected to the other side of the layout looks a bit train set-ish to me.

If the goods shed was serving the station that it's close to would it make sense to connect it to that side of the layout as well?
Perhaps a siding to the right of the engine shed?

Still on Plan 2. The single line on the right hand side could well be converted into a "shunting puzzle" part of the layout.
You could have trains running on the main lines whilst also shunting in the sidings. :)

Something that only occurred to me on my own layout AFTER I'd laid all the track and beyond. :roll:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

End2end wrote:Briefly...
Plan 1 - I've heard tell curves points can be...troublesome shall we say.

Plan 2 - With the goods shed attached to one side of the layout but close to the engine shed, which is connected to the other side of the layout looks a bit train set-ish to me.

If the goods shed was serving the station that it's close to would it make sense to connect it to that side of the layout as well?
Perhaps a siding to the right of the engine shed?

Still on Plan 2. The single line on the right hand side could well be converted into a "shunting puzzle" part of the layout.
You could have trains running on the main lines whilst also shunting in the sidings. :)

Something that only occurred to me on my own layout AFTER I'd laid all the track and beyond. :roll:
Thanks
End2end
Something like this? Would take the crossing out.
ngaugetooopart2.jpg
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

snowypeco17adj.jpg
Have got this one as well. Bit at the bottom is station area, with fiddle yard at back. Have been testing the curved point and not had one derailment yet, which is interesting.
End2end

Post by End2end »

barney121e wrote:snowypeco17adj.jpg

Have got this one as well. Bit at the bottom is station area, with fiddle yard at back. Have been testing the curved point and not had one derailment yet, which is interesting.
This plan is interesting. I don't think you'd even need any of those curved points if you changed the lower right pair of points the other way round so trains could get from one track to the other / outer track direct into the sidings.
Keeping the lower left points the same will give you 2 opposing sets of points to get from one track to the other in either direction.

I hope that makes some resemblance of sense. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

End2end wrote:
barney121e wrote:snowypeco17adj.jpg

This plan is interesting. I don't think you'd even need any of those curved points if you changed the lower right pair of points the other way round so trains could get from one track to the other / outer track direct into the sidings.
Keeping the lower left points the same will give you 2 opposing sets of points to get from one track to the other in either direction.

I hope that makes some resemblance of sense. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
The track at the bottom is the scenic area. Was going to put station to the left of the entry to the goods yard/engine shed. The back part seems quite elaborate for a fiddle yard especially with the curved points.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Yes that will still work.
I should have just drawn it instead of badly explaining it. :lol:
alt points.jpg
As you can see, now BOTH tracks have access to the sidings by changing that (red) point pair.
Hope it helps.

Also, my fiddle yard is roughly the same design.
2 through tracks, 2 alternative through tracks and 4 dead end sidings. One dead end siding doubling up as the DCC programming track.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

End2end wrote:Yes that will still work.
I should have just drawn it instead of badly explaining it. :lol:
alt points.jpg
As you can see, now BOTH tracks have access to the sidings by changing that (red) point pair.
Hope it helps.

Also, my fiddle yard is roughly the same design.
2 through tracks, 2 alternative through tracks and 4 dead end sidings. One dead end siding doubling up as the DCC programming track.
Thanks
End2end
Just like this?
snowypeco17rvsepoint.jpg
End2end

Post by End2end »

Yes that's it. :)
Could you possibly draw the buildings placements on the plan roughly. Station, engine shed etc.
I think I see another snag but need to see where / how it will interact with the buildings.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building