OO/N gauge possibilty. Now OO heritage Help Needed

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
barney121e

Re: OO/N gauge possibilty. Now OO heritage Help Needed

Post by barney121e »

ooheritage.jpg
Hi Guys

I need some help. I know it doesnt look the most interesting plan but it would work for me. But i have a problem. On the bottom right i have a point that splits the line into 2 lines, but when i try and put a similar one on the left, i cant get them to join. Anyone have any ideas how to join it back to a single line?

Cheers.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Use flexible track for thw straight bits and cut the track to length. :D

Use sectional track for the sharper curves (1st and 2nd radius) as flexible track tries to push its rails outwards at the joints of curves. Mixing flexible track and sectional track is a great money saver as flexible track is normally cheaper to buy. (Use code 100 if mixing both types of track). Be aware that sectional track points and the Peco streamline points have different angles.

Cut flexible track with track cutting shears or use a carbodium disk on a mandrill mounted to ones minidrill. Make sure one uses goggles as when those tiny discs shatter they fly off at warp speed!

Mixing flexible track cut to length means that one is not restricted to he sectional track geometry which is an advantage.

One thing I do personally tend to avoid is curved points as if trains are going to come off the track, it is usually at curved points! This is due to their frogs being overly large especially with sectional track curved points. Sometimes they are the only thing which will fit ones trackplan though.

Further on from this if one desires to go down that route, making ones own points one can move individual rails if one uses the soldering to PCB method which can be very useful to solve issues, but obviously this is not really a beginners thing. Learn the basics first...But I will reccomend experimenting with flexible track as this really does open up options in layout building as one can lay tracks where you want them to go and not where the geometry is taking you! Obviously one can't do anything that trains won't run on it so ones curves have to allow ones trains the ability to use them.
I take things to the extreme in narrow gauge by hand picking 00 gauge locos that can go round extreme curves and using them as donor vehicles for converting into narrow gauge of the larger scale. I mention this because my curves started out as ordinary Peco 00 gauge code 100 flexible track which I resleepered by soldering the rails to strips of printed circuit board which hold the curve firmly so I do not get any springing out issues that I would get with the plastic 00 gauge sleepers. I could have used Peco 0-16.5 narrow gauge track but I already had 00 track and a tight budget to keep to! But what I am saying is that flexible track is extremely useful not only in its ability to curve but in that one can cut it to fit spaces which otherwize one would not be able to do with sectional track.
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

Think i have finally cracked a plan i have seen.
middyoocracked.jpg
Have laid it and seems to work. Is using radius 1 and 2 curves. I am torn between this and just a basic radius 2 and 3 double line.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

That looks nice. Either way is good.
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

Mountain wrote:That looks nice. Either way is good.
Well down to either plan above this one .
hornby1.jpg
End2end

Post by End2end »

I think both plans suffer the same fate in that, you can change from one track to another but not back again without reversing.

Aside from that I'd prefer the 2nd and 3rd radius plan perhaps with slightly more track.
Perhaps a storage siding at the top/back of the plan :idea:

And by moving the lower right hand point along the curve, one track piece along, you could possibly add a point on the straight track, again giving more siding space.
Sort of like this...
hornby1E2E.jpg
Thanks
End2end
Last edited by End2end on Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

End2end wrote:I think both plans suffer the same fate in that, you can change from one track to another but not back again without reversing.

Aside from that I'd prefer the 2nd and 3rd radius plan perhaps with slightly more track.
Perhaps a storage siding at the top/back of the plan :idea:

And by moving the lower left point along the curve, one track piece along, you could possibly add a point on the straight track, again giving more siding space.
Sort of like this...
hornby1E2E.jpg
Thanks
End2end
Both plans use 1st and 2nd radius track, is it the plan you have adjusted you prefer? Space is limited so have had to make compromises. I love watching trains go round so shunting etc are slightly lower down the list.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Apologies. I must have misread that.
I preferred the 2nd plan thinking it was 2nd and 3rd radius. Stupid me. :lol:

As they are both 1st and 2nd radius that "move's the goalposts" for my reply somewhat.

I'd still say you'd need 2 sets of points in opposite directions to change from one track to the other though.
And with that in mind, I'd put BOTH sets of those cross over points at the rear of the layout.
Where they are positioned at the front on the plan will cause rolling stock to hit the platforms.

I also still prefer the 2nd plan for the length and shape of the oval you've created.
As mentioned before, I think you can add a siding or 2 in the lower right hand corner. Perhaps an engine shed or loading dock / bay?

I'm not sure if an additional point could fit in the upper right hand corner, INSIDE the 1st radius. It might be just too tight, but it might be possible?
This may be able to connect to the inner loop again further to the upper right hand side.
I'll have another go at a redraw to make my reply a bit more coherent. :wink:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

Something like this perhaps?
hornby1E2E2.jpg
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

End2end wrote:Something like this perhaps?
hornby1E2E2.jpg
Thanks
End2end
Something like this?
hornby2.jpg
End2end

Post by End2end »

Yes that's exactly what I was trying to convey. :)

I would try a different curve on the new lower right hand siding point to see if you could make the siding longer.
Also, I missed something else now looking at your new plan which in fact I have on my layout.
The dead end (lowest) track at the station can be extended leftwards and another point added to give 2 short sidings there as well.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

End2end wrote:Yes that's exactly what I was trying to convey. :)

I would try a different curve on the new lower right hand siding point to see if you could make the siding longer.
Also, I missed something else now looking at your new plan which in fact I have on my layout.
The dead end (lowest) track at the station can be extended leftwards and another point added to give 2 short sidings there as well.
Thanks
End2end
hornby3.jpg
Just concentrating on bottom part.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Now looking at it laid out it doesn't seen quite right.
Try moving the tiny straight piece over to the right (toe) end of the point, extending the platform track length before the point.
Shorten the sidings length to suit.
Remembering, it's harder to uncouple on a curve using a track mounted uncouping solution. :wink:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
barney121e

Post by barney121e »

End2end wrote:Now looking at it laid out it doesn't seen quite right.
Try moving the tiny straight piece over to the right (toe) end of the point, extending the platform track length before the point.
Shorten the sidings length to suit.
Remembering, it's harder to uncouple on a curve using a track mounted uncouping solution. :wink:
Thanks
End2end
Now you have confused me. But thats not hard. :D
End2end

Post by End2end »

Ill try to show you. Give me a couple of minutes. ;)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building