Controller question.

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
LesW

Controller question.

Post by LesW »

Hi folks.

Although I'm not new to model railways, I started in the 50's, I am new to DCC having not had a layout for about 17 years.
I'm planning to build a large layout in a spare building, it will be around 37 feet x 15 feet in an oval loop with 4 running lines plus sidings, etc. So each loop will be about 100 feet.

My question is, what controllers would members recommend bearing in mind that I would like a separate controller/throttle for each of the 4 loops.

I hope you get what I mean.

Cheers. Les.
Roger (RJ)

Re: Controller question.

Post by Roger (RJ) »

With DCC you don't have a controller for each loop as you might have with dc.

A single controller, or base station, is connected to the layout which can control any individual loco, no matter which track it is on. Some base stations can have additional handsets added to the system but these do not connect to the track.

Additional handsets can be used by additional operators or you could use a separate handset per loco or a number of locos. Handsets, or cabs, can be wired or wireless using various wireless protocols such as Bluetooth and mobile phones or tablets as handsets.

It all depends what you want and how much you have to spend.
LesW

Post by LesW »

Thanks Roger.

You may have hit the nail on the head there.
A separate controller for different loco's, i.e; one on each of the 4 running loops would be my preference and maybe another one for siding/shed movements. That seems to be what I'm looking for as it should make stopping individual trains in stations easier, in my mind anyway.

I'll take it from there and start looking.

Cheers.
End2end

Post by End2end »

My DCC controller can have up to 4 hand controllers plus control of a 5th loco on the man controller itself.

The caveats are:- they are tethered to the main controller and don't have all the extra function buttons, only 1 - 5. They have no main controllers in stock at the moment.

The bonuses are:- the wire between the main controller and hand controller can be as long as you want/can buy/can make and being that the hand controllers are somewhat stripped down of functions buttons, they are a lot cheaper than some add on handsets for other DCC controllers.
All new controllers now come with a 5amp power supply for running more trains / train lighting / more DCC ancillary items.

It's a small British company. This is the web page showing the main controller and the handsets - https://signatrak.co.uk/products/ace-dc ... ccessories
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I have three handcontrollers and one slave controller (A starter controller which either can be an independant DCC controller or it functions as an extra hand controller to my main system). My system can handle up to 32 hand controllers I believe. I have two boosters... One being 3 amp which came with my set and one being 5 amp. I can either put them to use as two independent districts on the same layout (Trains can run from one district to the next so where more trains sit will use the 5 amp and where less trains go I can use the 3 amp) or I can wire them in series to give 8 amps to the track so it is quite a flexible system where I can add as many boosters as I want but also more hand controllers then I would ever need.

It is good to invest in a good system. Though mine is an older system it still holds its own as there is only so much one can do in DCC other then add more functions or a greater degree of automation via computer conteol. Mine can be linked to a computer via a computer interface available separately... But I was not interested in doing this as I wanted to be the one controlling my trains with the addition of a few friends...

But I do admit I have hardly used my DCC system, and when the last 00 gauge DCC loco is sold I will sell it. The reason for this is I missed the simplicity of DC and the large cluncky toggle switches, so when I went into 7mm narrow gauge, though I initially put an N gauge DCC decoder (Due to space) into my first loco, I took it out because I was on such a tight modelling budget that to buy yet more decodeds was not an option... Also I just had a yearning to go back to good old DC! I am a traditionalist at heart I guess! :D Though I do like both DCC and DC....
End2end

Post by End2end »

Erm.... you forgot to name which controller you have Mountain.
Might be helpful ? :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Oops. I have a Lenz system.

Each make has its strong points. I am undecided if it is best to buy a simple or a complex system because simple does make it easy to use but limited... Complex does everything but one needs a manual handy unless one uses it often. (Rarely use mine so I forget things and Lenz is meant to be easy to use compared to their competitors (Though many new systems are now out there)). If one uses it often then one remembers...

The good thing about Lenz is that they are expandable so one buys more as ones layout grows and is not limited to the one time buy where if one outgrows the one time buy one has to buy another system... Not sure about new Lenz systems, but mine is backwards and forwards compatable though there are limits... But the good thing is that if I reach the limits and they only do more modern, there is a lot of older Lenz secondhand as it was so popular so I can expand as I need.

The other good thing about Lenz is they can be used with Roco Locomaus handsets as they use the same communication. I have not tried this myself, but many Lenz users would buy Roco handsets as they found them nicer to use. There was another make of handset which was compatable but it did not do double heading or consists so one would be limited with that make. I cant remember the make. I think my Lenz system can move consists of 14 locos at a time. Uhmm... ammended. Seems to be no limit to thr number of locos in a consist except that the consist can't draw more current then the boosters one has.
LesW

Post by LesW »

It's been a while since I asked my initial question, so here's an update.

I've been over to the UK to see the family and whilst there I visited Digitrains and bought a Digitrax Evox Evolution Express Asvanced starter set.
One advantage is that it has 2 control knobs on the handset, something getting towards what I had in mind. I am looking forward to making a start on the layout as soon as I've finished a couple of bathrooms and the kitchen. Got to keep the wife happy!

I also bought a weathered Bachmann B1 from Altrincham and have ordered a couple of sound decoders from Digitrains, one for the B1 & another for a Britannia.

Earlier in the year I bought a few coaches from Hattons and a few more from the show at Macclesfield.

I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Cheers. Les.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

You seem to confusing DC (Analogue) loco control with DCC (Digital). You will still only have direct control of one loco per throttle. AFAIK you have to change the handsets set up by pressing a square symbol key to change to the other knob on the that throttle. The first loco continues doing whatever you told it to do when you left it to take control of the second loco.

Adding a second throttle will allow two locos either on the same rails or on separate tracks to be directly controlled at the same time.
But to swap on the handsets to another loco you still have to leave say loco 1 doing whatever you told it to do and press the button to control Loco 2 etc If you want a third loco added, then once its address is entered you will have to press a key to select that loco, leaving locos 1 & 2 doing whatever was last instructed to do. :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

To expand a little on Flashbang's reply, DCC is usually operated wtih one interface (usually a handset, alternatively a console) per operator. One handset will simultaneously operate as many locos as you can mentally keep up with; the most I have attempted is eight locos all running independently with their own trains: that's enought to keep up with, even with adequate headways between the trains on a very extended twin track line.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

My Lenz system works seamlessly with Rocrail (open source). I'm not entirely clear if the OP was about DC or DCC, but if DCC the Lenz (or any other system with controller->computer interface) with Rocrail allows you to 'drive' everything from the desktop, scheduling, interlocking signals and all sorts of other exiting things. Just click on the 'cab' window to take immediate control of one particular engine while the others carry on doing whatever they are up to. It does stock records and everything. With four+ trains going at one time, DCC would definitely be worth the expense/hassle. As you can see, I'm not extactly challenging the system..
Screenshot from 2022-07-03 17-12-50.png
LesW

Post by LesW »

Thanks for the replies folks. Yes, I've finally got the gist of how the handset will work and I'll probably buy a couple of extra throttles as time goes on. There's a few of us Brits out here with layouts so a get together will let us all have a go.

I won't be going the computer screen route, maybe I'm just an old hand, besides, it was bad enough when they started fitting screens into the trains that I used to drive. :shock:

I'll keep you posted. Cheers. Les.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

LesW wrote:...I won't be going the computer screen route, maybe I'm just an old hand, besides, it was bad enough when they started fitting screens into the trains that I used to drive...
Allow me to suggest there's another way to look at this, when developing a large layout operation. It's a lot of fun when you have sufficient operators present to run the trains to represent something of the real service pattern. But what to do, when it's only you?

This is where the automation comes in, applied to do as much or little as you choose. Having done the protoyping some years ago on a friend's large layout, my choice is to have it run the representative through services, while I operate the inner suburban 'country terminus', reversing those trains to go back to KX, and likewise the two branch services and pick up goods. So I will be well occupied with the timetable operation of 8 trains, but there will always be more going on, as the automation sends the through trains past: and no looking at a screen required, all I will see are the 24 trains the system is running.