Heljan Class 33

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Metadyneman

Re: Heljan Class 33

Post by Metadyneman »

boxbrownie wrote:Well this prompted me to again open the detail pack to one of my Bachmann Warships I fitted sound to yesterday, this model has more than a dozen or so lifting eyes provided for fitting to the roof of this model, this parts are about 1.5mm long and absolutely impossible for me to fit, what I am left with is a nice model which works great, sounds great but has 20 small holes prominently on the roof. I’d even prefer if they were moulded on!
I refer the honourable person to my previous comment regarding "damned if they do, damned if they don't" There will always be someone with a preference for separate bits being added at the point of manufacture, someone who wants bits moulded on as opposed to separate parts and someone who wants a "blank canvas" to put on as many or little parts as they like. I have three Dapol Westerns quite happily running round my garden layout without the minuscule separate lifting lugs on the roof but I have added full detailing to one end, personally I'm quite happy with them that way. The tiny slots into which the lugs fit are not that noticeable to be honest and the locos still look the part in front of a rake of mk1 or mk2 coaching stock.
In essence... it is all down to personal preference. But the manufacturers cannot comply with that because they have to strike a balance somewhere. That balance will always upset someone, somewhere!
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
SRman

Post by SRman »

Metadyneman wrote: I refer the honourable person to my previous comment regarding "damned if they do, damned if they don't" There will always be someone with a preference for separate bits being added at the point of manufacture, someone who wants bits moulded on as opposed to separate parts and someone who wants a "blank canvas" to put on as many or little parts as they like. I have three Dapol Westerns quite happily running round my garden layout without the minuscule separate lifting lugs on the roof but I have added full detailing to one end, personally I'm quite happy with them that way. The tiny slots into which the lugs fit are not that noticeable to be honest and the locos still look the part in front of a rake of mk1 or mk2 coaching stock.
In essence... it is all down to personal preference. But the manufacturers cannot comply with that because they have to strike a balance somewhere. That balance will always upset someone, somewhere!

I am in total agreement with you here, Metadyneman. As with most things, there are pros and cons for the fitting (or not) of extra details.

Personally, I prefer to have the items pre-fitted and able to be removed or clipped where I find them in the way. I have lost countless small bits pinging off into the carpet, never to be found again, and suffered the frustration of trying to thread a tiny pipe into a hole that proved to be too small so had to be drilled out before trying again. I have had bits I have attached so carefully drop off again because the glue I chose didn't stick to the particular plastics used (thinking Heljan Western windscreen wipers here).

I was lucky with the Dapol Western I chose, because I bought the Kernow special weathered version which had nameplates and lifting eyes pre-fitted. One fell out somewhere, and I have replacements, but they are so small and fine, I simply have difficulty handling them. The Heljan model doesn't have some of these extra fine details, but is a lot more robust as a result.

Yes, there is a certain satisfaction to fitting the extra detailing and finishing off a model oneself, but as I get older, I find I am less capable, in terms of eyesight, steadiness of hands and dexterity of fingers.
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

SRman wrote:
Yes, there is a certain satisfaction to fitting the extra detailing and finishing off a model oneself, but as I get older, I find I am less capable, in terms of eyesight, steadiness of hands and dexterity of fingers.

This especially…….these youngsters will agree one day :lol:
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

The lifting eyes on the Dapol Western are simply either a detail too much or a poorly thought out add on; in terms of the latter they would have been better with a thin peg at the bottom and false holes in the body shell which,say, could be opened up using one of the very thin Peco track pins. I was recommended a specific superglue to add a tiny drop into the recess and fit the lifting eye, and repeat..., but although I bought the said glue I have yet to pluck up courage.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

If the add on detail really doesn't get seen from a yard away at scale speed, why bother? I am more into 'impressionism', and in terms of what deserves attention find that closing up the train couplings so loco and vehicles are at scale spacing really is worth the effort. Now, if I could just find a way to leave one or two scale pieces of BR's finest flushable paper swirling in the vortices behind an express...
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Thanks Bigmet, you've just remind me of the wonderful experience of being on the pway gang when a flushing carriage went past.
Pete.
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Problem is the locating holes on the Warship stand out like a sore thumb as the roof is very light grey (and obviously the holes look like black dots)…..a bit/lot of weathering might negate the issue somewhat but I don’t want all my Locos looking like they are about to get scrapped :D
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

boxbrownie wrote:Problem is the locating holes on the Warship stand out like a sore thumb as the roof is very light grey (and obviously the holes look like black dots)…
Wipe in a little Milliput? You can polish it flush with a dab of water before it cures, so no abrasive finishing is required. I'd have a practice on a scrap roof beforehand to get the feel for it.
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

boxbrownie wrote:
SRman wrote:

....At 62 I'm afraid I no longer consider myself a "youngster"! The eyes & hands are still in good nick though :wink:
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Metadyneman wrote:
boxbrownie wrote:
SRman wrote:

....At 62 I'm afraid I no longer consider myself a "youngster"! The eyes & hands are still in good nick though :wink:
Mine were also at 62……may they be steady for much longer
Best regards David

boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Bigmet wrote:
boxbrownie wrote:Problem is the locating holes on the Warship stand out like a sore thumb as the roof is very light grey (and obviously the holes look like black dots)…
Wipe in a little Milliput? You can polish it flush with a dab of water before it cures, so no abrasive finishing is required. I'd have a practice on a scrap roof beforehand to get the feel for it.
Hmm interesting, I have Tamiya filler which I prefer, that’s light grey, might be worth a try, thanks.
Best regards David

Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

So far I've been lucky with my ageing hands, my right is still as steady as it's ever been but has started to lose strength, my left not so precise but still has a vise-like grip.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Bufferstop wrote:So far I've been lucky with my ageing hands, my right is still as steady as it's ever been but has started to lose strength, my left not so precise but still has a vise-like grip.
My mates used to complain about my grip when I shook hands, now it bl00dy hurts when they shake mine!

Fooking old age is a killer :lol:
Best regards David

Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

boxbrownie wrote:...Fooking old age is a killer :lol:
My parent's late neighbour across the road in Oxenhope (occupying the original Stationmaster's house) was Jack Rowell - well known for his activites on the K&WVR, including Santa duties for which he supplied his own magnificent beard - and as his health began to severely impinge on his ability to get things done, he came up with a jewel of a good humoured comment on this subject:
"Old age comes at a very inconvenient time of life."

RIP, Dora and Jack, gone but in no way forgotten.