Canford Quay

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
heda

Re: Canford Quay

Post by heda »

Track laying is underway, a fairly easy job, using flexitrack meant very little cutting and soldering, just four length of track and two points. I tried to keep the track in the yard straight to avoid having to cut curves in the cobblestones, almost succeeded except for an inch or two at the top.
One more length of track to go, fit the magnets for the kadees then see if the trains run OK.

Dave

heda

Post by heda »

More card laid on the quay to raise the height, when the cobblestone card sheets are stuck down they will come to just below the rail tops.
Rather than have a fixed crane I'm going to use a rail mounted one.

Dave

heda

Post by heda »

Modelling time this week has involved connecting up track droppers and fitting point motors. I decided to give MTB mp1 motors a try, the main reason being they work from a 12v supply without the need for a cdu. After giving track and trains a couple of hours test (play), all went well and I would definitely recommend the point motors. No soldering involved, very easy to adjust and no need for a sprung on – off-on switch as they have a switch built in that turns off the power when they reach the end of travel so no chance of leaving power on and burning them out.
The next fiddly job is to get uncoupling magnets fitted for the Kadee's, once that's done I can get the ballast down and start on the scenics.

Dave

heda

Post by heda »

Not a lot of modelling time, so many other things going on but I managed to make a road bridge for the far corner of the board where the track disappears into a cutting.
It still needs to be fixed down and weathered but it's progress.
Dave

heda

Post by heda »

I'm continuing with the WW2 theme, although the events in the world at the moment have taken away some of my enthusiasm for building bombed houses.
There will be an anti aircraft gun on the hillside, the base is a plastic cap lined with cut down coffee stirers, I had the sandbags, ammo boxes and gun 3d printed, the shells are brass rod. The seated soldier, will be wearing white trainers until my next visit to the model shop when I replenish my stock of paint and other bits, he'll also be holding a gun across his knee.
Dave

Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Looking good Dave,
Although as you say - currently not the most desirable sentiment.

Geoff T.
End2end

Post by End2end »

The ingenuity of modeller's never ceases to amaze me.
What a transformation from the first picture to the last.
Great modelling Heda! :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
heda

Post by heda »

The gun emplacement is in place and the soldiers have been issued with proper boots, gun and soldiers not stuck in place yet as I'm bound to knock them while working on the back of the board.
To make hills I use the old fashioned but tried and trusted method of polystyrene covered with pva and newspaper. The front section has had a coat of burnt umber as it's what I had to hand, I will repaint it more of a sand colour before it's covered with sand, gravel and grass.
At the back the base for the road down from the hill has been cut to shape but not stuck down yet.
Dave

Mannix

Post by Mannix »

Great work. But who's that guy ? :lol:
457845.JPG
457845.JPG (16.32 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
heda

Post by heda »

That's George, he's watching progress on the layout.
It's my Grandsons room (amongst other things) when he comes to stay so the shelves of the wall unit where I store my trains are full of little boys toys.
Dave
MrH

Post by MrH »

:D Hello George
My layouts and workbench

Trucks in a Tizzy
my wOrkbench
heda

Post by heda »

The hillside is all stuck down and had a coat of acrylic and the base for the road is in place. The lighter colour will be sand and gravel, where the path crossed the track will be a wooden crossing which will hide the magnets for the Kadee's and show me where to stop wagons for uncoupling. Next job I think will be to get some ballast down and get the road in place.
Dave (and George)

Mannix

Post by Mannix »

George and you work very well. :D
heda

Post by heda »

George doesn't work, he supervises.
The crossing hiding the magnets is finished and a start made on the ballasting, The white area is thin card to raise the area slightly above the road. The card at the back is where the buildings will go, I'm intending to partly build that off the board then stick it down rather than leaning across.
Next picture is a job lot of old buildings that I picked up from ebay, I'll use the houses, pub and barns the other buildings I sold on.
One of the barns will be the village hall, it wasn't very well put together, hence the filler and the walls are bowed but I think it will come out OK.
Dave

Mannix

Post by Mannix »

Well done ! Congrats.