Canford Quay

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
heda

Re: Canford Quay

Post by heda »

Dad's army yes, Carry on Camping no, imagine Barbara Windsor standing there in her bikini :P

Dave
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Nice little encampment 8) Back in the day every unit setting up base would have had a flagpole proudly flying the Unit flag.
Once upon a time I built a model railway in the loft. Now I dabble on much smaller baseboards.
Phred

Post by Phred »

heda wrote:
Dad's army yes, Carry on Camping no, imagine Barbara Windsor standing there in her bikini :P
You would have to find a way of recreating Barbara's overstretched bikini top flying off when she takes a big breath! :shock:
heda

Post by heda »

Phred - exactly what came to my mind, I'm giving that a miss for sure.

lofty - thanks for that, I did think about a flag but wasn't sure, our local's are the Royal Marines and SBS so neither of those will suit but as the layout is fictitious but based on Poole I'll have a go at designing something based on the marines.

Dave
heda

Post by heda »

Progress on the army camp at last. I painted up some supply cases, jerry cans and other odds and ends.
The first two pictures are with them laid loosely in place to see how they would fit there will be another two soldiers kneeling sorting out the supplies. Next the cream coloured paint is where I intend to lay trampled grass on sandy / soil ground cover. Lastly the cases and other bits stuck in place.
For ground cover I intend to use 'Avon foundation', I don't use it myself but my wife gifted it to me to use as dust on the bombed houses, using it as ground cover is going to be a first for me so it remains to be seen how it works out !
Dave

Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Dave,

Very nice, something different and those bit & pieces make it come to life.

Geoff T.
Phred

Post by Phred »

heda wrote:
'Avon foundation'
Sounds very promising! I'll have to broach the subject with 'er indoors.
heda

Post by heda »

The 'Avon Foundation' has been applied, I was instructed on the best way to apply it to the board so following instructions I brushed a thin layer of pva, dabbed a soft brush in the foundation, held it over the pva and flicked so as to dust it on.
Pictures show the result, it's hard to say how it will turn out until the pva has dried and I've brushed of the loose stuff. Going to leave it for a couple of days to ensure it's properly dried in, I'm told the the dust on the cases will just come off using a damp paintbrush.
Dave

heda

Post by heda »

This morning gave it a light brush with a soft paintbrush and this is the result, I did have some doubts about it yesterday, It does need a bit of tidying up. but I like the way it has come out.
That is the easy bit done next I will have to think about patchy grass in the camp itself and thicker grass around the edges, I know the look I'm hoping for it's achieving it that's going to be the challenge !
Dave

Phred

Post by Phred »

That's a nice effect. Is the surface fairly durable after the excess is brushed off?
heda

Post by heda »

The final stage this morning was to give it a couple of coats of heavy hold hairspray, the next step will be thinking about laying the trampled brown static grass.

To elaborate on my experiment of using foundation make up as ground cover. It's cheap enough, there are pots on ebay for a couple of pounds although the designer stuff looks like £40 a pot !
For the camp I wanted a slightly thick patchy layer to represent lots of army boots marching over it so I laid it on slightly heavy by sprinkling it from a soft brush. The gravel path from the road across the rail to the gun emplacement looked to clean so I gave it a light brush over, just enough to mix some sandy soil in with the stones.
Sprinkling it, as ladies apparently do before applying it does tend to go everywhere as it is very fine powder, brushing as ladies do to apply it gives a fine layer, enough to represent flat soil or to add colour.
Once applied if it is to heavy it can be smoothed down with an emery board or very fine wet and dry, it can be washed off with a damp tissue, it does need a dusting of hairspray to seal it in place if you run a finger over it prior to sealing some will come off. Possibly a good way of adding tyre tracks.

Overall I think it's a good way of adding ground colour or perhaps adding mud and dirt to a vehicle, there are so many shades available.

That's about as much as I can think of, as with all things the best idea is to experiment on a piece of scrap card.

Lastly a couple of pictures after letting the hair spray dry.
Dave

Jaz

Post by Jaz »

Dad-1 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:51 pm Hi Dave,

Geoff T.
I have missed this previously, which is a shame because this is right up my stree
Home made tent, nicely done,
Bombed building also nicely done
Figures look correct I cat refer to the picture so am off to browse further
Very nice layout impressed
Jaz

Post by Jaz »

Dad-1 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:51 pm Hi Dave,

Geoff T.
Back again :0 love the Jerry cans and the boxed items