Canford Quay

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
heda

Re: Canford Quay

Post by heda »

I don't know that it was difficult as such, I'd have more trouble scratchbuilding a normal building, I can hardly draw a straight line never mind cutting out doors and windows but it did take a lot of thought, what it might have looked like.
Work on the board itself will pause for a while again, I've got some scenic odds and ends to make up and paint plus another half a dozen cheap Triang wagons to repaint and weather, plenty to keep me busy and I'm in no hurry to get it finished, the pleasure for me is the building.
Dave
heda

Post by heda »

No progress to show on the layout to date, modelling time has been spent repainting some old box wagons which is still work in progress.
I have made up a road block though, painted oil drums and florist wire, UXB signs will be added in due course, I wasn't intending to use oil drums but having had a couple of frustrating attempts at making tripods out of florist wire I opted for an easier way.
Dave

Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Nice cobbling :-)
Phred

Post by Phred »

Nice oil spill as well! 8)
heda

Post by heda »

The 'oilspill' was a result of a tiny drop of super glue soaking through a piece of paper laying on the cobbles which ended up leaving a bare white patch. My normal way of working is to start at the back of the board but this time I couldn't wait to get the cobblestones laid down.
I do intend to dry brush some black between the rails and add tyre marks and other grime so hopefully the aftermath of my mishap will blend in and look more normal.
Dave
Phred

Post by Phred »

heda wrote:
my mishap will blend in
That's serendipity right there. I think it looks great!
heda

Post by heda »

Well put Phred, after the initial panic I was thinking more like, 'just about got away with that'.

I was intending to crack on with the landscaping but having got the board set up the sun has got it's hat on so there won't be much modelling progress as I'll be making the most of our late Summer.

What I have managed to get done is to finish off the gravel/sand path from the rail crossing to the gun emplacement and most of the shrubbery stuck down, all ready for static grass now, the flat area between the road and the track will have some tents to house soldiers who are on guard duty at the harbour and working on preparing supplies for shipping across the channel. So one of the next projects is to make up a few tents, I'm still thinking about the best way to make them, thin card covered in tissue paper is the best option I can think of at the moment.

Dave

End2end

Post by End2end »

Coming along very nicely heda.
I must have missed it before but the taped across windows in the house opposite the path are a great little detailing touch.
It really gives a sense of the era. :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Phred

Post by Phred »

heda wrote:
thin card covered in tissue paper is the best option I can think of at the moment.
Freezer bags are nice and thin, can be formed around shapes and take paint well. If you turn the unpainted side out they look sort of like tarpaulin. May be worth experimenting with.
heda

Post by heda »

Thanks for tip Phred, I haven't started experimenting yet but I'll keep that in mind.
Dave
heda

Post by heda »

Modelling time this week involved setting up a tent production line while sheltering from the sun. I've ended up with one mess tent and ten x 2 man tents. There's just about room left for a lorry or couple of jeeps behind the mess tent.

So far so good, the two man tents now need camp beds and the mess tent needs some tables and other bits and pieces so still quite a bit to do yet.

Dave

heda

Post by heda »

The two man tents now have camp beds, covered in tissue with rolled tissue at the front.
The mess tent has a table and benches, I wasn't to precise with the interior details is it can hardly be seen.
One thing I should gave done was to give the card a lick of paint before sticking on the tissue. Once the mess tent is tissued over I'll give them all a wash of light grey acrylic then some watery khaki wash to try and make them look weathered.
This is something I've only ever attempted on tarpaulins so how it will work out I have no idea !
Dave

Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

So much detail Dave,
Shouldn't the small tents have poles ?
My first West Country holidays were in a big ex-forces ridge tent,
early 1950's.

Geoff T.
heda

Post by heda »

Thanks Geoff

Yes they will have 'florist wire' poles, because when I use paint I tend to get it everywhere so I intend to paint /weather the tents first then add wood colour painted poles.
What I haven't decided on yet is guy ropes, the thinnest thread I can think of is cotton which is going to look like rope !
Dave
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

heda wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:18 pm
What I haven't decided on yet is guy ropes, the thinnest thread I can think of is cotton which is going to look like rope !
Dave
Steel guitar strings would do the trick, top E strings specifically ( 0.010 inch). They also have the advantage that they don't kink easily so the guy ropes will look tight. You can get them for around £1-£2 each, roughly 1m long - or ask around a musical friends who will of course, cough cough, be changing strings regularly. Mandolin strings also.