Canford Quay

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Chops

Re: Canford Quay

Post by Chops »

Anti-aircraft base, but of course. As a child we used to play in an old bomb proof near by. Your excellent modeling recalls a time that if forgotten by the present generation at its peril. It speaks, too, of the tenacity of a free people.
Nessie rocks!
heda

Post by heda »

A couple of new arrivals at the quay and the village has a garage, not a very good picture of the workshop, I'll take another shot once the lighting is all wired up.
Dave

heda

Post by heda »

I've not done a lot on the layout for a while for various reasons but work is commencing again.
A Matador has been repainted, because I have never been able to master the art of making a road disappear into the distance it will be parked at the edge of the board with a barrier and UXB sign. The green areas will be grassed with some shrubbery and trees.
Dave

heda

Post by heda »

I'm making up for lost time at the moment.
The quay is 'cobblestoned', fire buckets and life buoys at the ready and the first of the static grass put down.
The holes in the stones are where the buffers will go.
Dave

Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Interesting developments.
Mind you WWII will be well over before too long !!

Geoff T.
End2end

Post by End2end »

It's really starting to come alive.
I like the greenery growing up the side wall and the path passed it. That's a nice touch. :wink:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
heda

Post by heda »

Work continues at what for me is a cracking pace. The village hall has nicely tended grass, it's a meeting place for the older people and hosts fetes and other events so in the dark days of the war it's an oasis. Once the pva has dried and the loose static grass removed the gate will be hung.
Trees are on order so that will pretty much finish off that corner.
The next job on the board is to fit the buffers and mooring bollards on the quay, apart from that I've got some work to do off the board, a mobile NAAFI canteen to assemble and paint and some scrap metal to paint and weather to go in the yard behind the garage so plenty to keep me occupied but I don't want to finish it to quickly as I don't have any more projects lined up.
Dave

Chops

Post by Chops »

Superb. It is rather nice to know that there is some precedent for cobbled quay side tracks. I opted for bricks in my stab at this, having no real knowledge to credit or discredit the concept.
Nessie rocks!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Hi Heda, I've struggled for years to join roads to the back scene. I only discovered how to do it when I built my present layout close to eye level. Once you are looking at it at a realistic angle it's easy, contrive a slight rise and fall sutch as a hump bridge that prevents you actually seeing the joint. You don't even need to see the road, buildings or hedges suggesting a road will work just as well. Mind you the Matador is less of a cliché than the Routmaster bus.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
heda

Post by heda »

Chops, I think about anything could be used for a quay, I picked cobblestones because I have seen them used and being sheets they were pretty easy to cut and stick.
Attached a picture of Poole Quay when coal used to be delivered for the power station.

Bufferstop, I'm sure once you manage to do it then it becomes easy, I've looked at tutorials, taken photo's of roads going into the distance, studied other peoples layouts but I just can't get it right so resort to hiding roads and paths going off board. The path beside the garage will be party obscured by a tree or two.
Dave

kebang

Post by kebang »

Well beyond my skill level, but it looks fantastic!
heda

Post by heda »

Not a lot of modelling done this week but I have managed to finsh of the NAAFI mobile canteen. Trees have arrived but as they are a uniforn shape and colour I need to modify them slightly to give some variation.
Dave

Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

2 teas please, white, no sugar.

I love these touches.

Geoff T.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

I spent half my life in a NAAFI queue
Once upon a time I built a model railway in the loft. Now I dabble on much smaller baseboards.
heda

Post by heda »

Rummaging through my scenics box I found some trees that I'd forgotten about, already modified and painted so used them along with the trees I had ordered to make a small wooded area of various shapes and shades.
Dave