Canford Quay

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Phred

Re: Canford Quay

Post by Phred »

Looks very promising. :)
That mess tent reminds me of a night long ago when a careless excavator operator cut through several telecom cables beside the northbound railway line from Brisbane, including the coaxial cable providing television coverage to the north of the state. The NRL grand final was coming on, so there was a rush to get the thing fixed.
An enormous steel framed breakdown tent was erected over the job. It wasn't secured to the ground as it seemed absolutely immovable. A freezing westerly buster (wind) was blowing all day and night, so we were glad to be working inside the tent.
A little after one o'clock in the morning, we heard a sort of roaring sound above the general moaning of the wind, and thought it must be some sort of train approaching. It turned out to be a huge gust of wind which lifted the entire tent, frame and all, at least a foot off the ground, then dropped it with a shuddering thud.
Not knowing what to do about it, we just kept working. Proper scary though.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Yeah, the westerlies, lazy winds. Don't go round you, just straight through.
Pete.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Dad-1 wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 2:49 pm So much detail ... My first West Country holidays were in a big ex-forces ridge tent,early 1950's.
I suspect that most of us 'baby boomers' will have spent some time in army surplus tents. Speaking of detail, that distinctive musty smell when they came off the truck and were erected lingered for at least week even in fine weather with plentiful breezes. That would bring the memories flooding back.

Were the larger tents still available there wouldn't be the present problem with RAAC affected schools. Education will be delivered under canvas, and you will like it. If you display a positive attitude the pupils will enjoy the experience.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

The trouble with RAAC is that in needed to be kept dry, otherwise a good idea.
We learn by mistakes.
The lead in locomotive castings that makes them self destruct with intergranular decay.
Reminds me of the Valiant 'V' bomber problem, new strong light alloy, that suffers stress corrosion.
How long do you test something to decide perhaps it's not such a good idea ?

Waxed or treated canvas can be surprisingly waterproof - just don't touch when raining.

Back to the small tents, I think cocktail sticks would be ideal tent poles.

Geoff T.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Dad-1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:39 pm The trouble with RAAC is that in needed to be kept dry, otherwise a good idea.
We learn by mistakes.

Geoff T.
RAAC was intended to have a fixed (short) life. It's use was conditional on everyone acknowledging that, and planning accordingly for replacement at around the 30 year mark. There is no scandal about that, anyone who RTFM would know what the score was. The replacement plan was drawn up, costed and ready to roll. Then someone thought he knew better....

Danger of getting a bit political here, so name removed. John W
heda

Post by heda »

Thanks for the tip Richard, added to my things to think about list. I've got some very fine wire, similar to fuse wire that I could use but don't know if it would be possible to paint and if it would actually show up. Given the scale guy ropes would likely be invisible.

I have used a cocktail stick as a pole for the mess tent and it does look right but to big for the small two man tents.

Progress with the tents is slow and ongoing, when I gave them a lick of paint the tissue paper went as wrinkly as a prune so I had to add another couple of coats followed by a light rubbing down, there looking a lot better now with just a wrinkle here and there which is what I intended, another light rub tomorrow then start on brushing on the proper colour.

Dave
End2end

Post by End2end »

What about human hair for guy ropes?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

heda wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:26 pm Thanks for the tip Richard, added to my things to think about list. I've got some very fine wire, similar to fuse wire that I could use but don't know if it would be possible to paint and if it would actually show up. Given the scale guy ropes would likely be invisible.
They're pretty invisible in 12"/foot scale! But yes, one of those occasions where a little over-scale is needed to sort of broaden the hint I think. I'm following this with interest as my festival area will be needing tents, slightly more 'modern' I suppose, 70s/80s. Guitar strings will take paint, I use them for fence/signal wires, without primer but it does take a pass or two to hide the shine, prodding the result is not recommended.
heda

Post by heda »

Hair, on the plus side mines the right colour (white) and I've got enough to spare a couple of strands but for my sausage fingers it would be to fiddly and I don't think it would actually show up.

The guitar string is an interesting idea which got me thinking about the fine wire that I use for led's in buildings. I agree sometimes things need to be oversize, I used cotton on the lineside fencing, the same as the mooring lines for the boats. For now the guy ropes are on the 'to think about' list while I work on the actual tents.

After spending time painting, lightly rubbing down and a light spray of white this is where they are now. The mess tent needs a bit more work then it's time to colour them khaki I want them to look weathered so I'm going to try dry brushing so that the white shows through, if it all goes wrong it will be another white spray and try again.

For Richard, and anyone else that's interested a friend sent me this link.

https://youtu.be/XB2mHI6yVOs?si=vrvfCZHBlTew0UM8

Dave

Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

heda wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:25 pm

For Richard, and anyone else that's interested a friend sent me this link.

https://youtu.be/XB2mHI6yVOs?si=vrvfCZHBlTew0UM8

Dave
To be honest, I think you are ahead of the game on the tents front:-)
Phred

Post by Phred »

Coming along nicely. :)
I wonder if sewing pins would be near the right diameter for the small tent poles.
heda

Post by heda »

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions, all very welcome.
Pins would probably be nearer to scale but it's another of those balancing true scale with what looks right, the florist wire looks OK to my eyes, the picture makes them look as though there khaki, there actually painted a very light brown (Tamiya wooden deck tan).

The tents themselves, this is new territory for me, I want them to look weathered rather than nice painted khaki which I don't think would look right so I've given them a couple of coats of watery khaki, the first coat looked to washy, they've had two coats now, it's close to the effect I'm looking for but not quite right. Maybe a light black wash as there there next to the railway, once there all in place I'll add some brick dust from the bombed houses.

Dave

heda

Post by heda »

Progress on the army camp. The tents are about as good as I'm going to get them, nothing stuck down yet, just dropped in place to get the idea. I need to sort out some clutter to add.

Another thought has sprung to mind for the guy ropes, I bought some plumbers hemp a while ago to make up a thatched roof, from memory it's the right gauge and colour, I need to dig into the landscape odds and ends box and see if it's likely to be suitable.

Dave

heda

Post by heda »

I opted for cotton guy ropes in the end, overscale but they look OK to me, anything finer just wouldn't show up. To attach the cotton to the tent, I pushed a needle through the tent, tied a knot on the cotton inside, gently pulled it outwards then once taut a drop of super glue on the outside. The lines were left intentionally long as there easier to cut down later rather than fiddling around if there to short.

Next job was to mark out the position of the tents on the board then mark where the guy ropes were going to be stuck down, then I drilled a 1mm hole where each rope was going to be attached to the board. When this was all done the tents were glued in place and left to dry. Finally I used a piece of very fine florist wire folded into a loop and pushed up through the holes, pop the guy rope into the loop, pull back down reasonably taut then a drop of super glue.

I've stuck a yellow led in the back of the mess tent, not tried it out yet but I'm hoping it will give off a glow something like a hurricane lamp and I know there should be a blackout but if I play trains in a night time setting I like to see lights on in buildings.

Fitting to the board was a bit tedious but it seems to have worked OK, the ropes look taut enough, it needs a bit of tidying up but I think it's turned out OK. The next task is to sort out and paint some clutter then it will just be a case of adding the static grass.

Dave

End2end

Post by End2end »

A bit cheeky I know but I saw painted "Dad's Army" figures on the bay yesterday. :D
And "Carry on camping" figures too. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread