Southern Railway Station Halt Colours?

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
GoldenOldie

Southern Railway Station Halt Colours?

Post by GoldenOldie »

On my 1935(ish) Southern Railway micro layout I have a small station halt. I'm using the rather lovely Wills kit SS27 to represent this but I'm uncertain as to how best to paint it up in Southern colours.

I've discovered the Pheonix Precision website which has some useful information but being a railway modelling newbie I'd like some verification that I'm not making a mistake before I go ahead and order yet more paint potsto add to my (wargames based) paint mountain! Once painted I intend to very lightly weather everything.

My thoughts are I'll do the platform surface in a dark wood colour, with P88 Light Stone for the wooden railings at the back of the platform. For the corrugated shelter I'm heading towards a thick strip of Precision's LSWR Goods Loco Green at the base of the shelter and P88 above, with a light grey roof. Does this seem appropriate?

As an aside I'm very used to using Vallejo paints, are there suitable alternatives in their range anyone can recommend?
GeraldH

Re: Southern Railway Station Halt Colours?

Post by GeraldH »

There are some historic colour pictures here which might help...

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/br ... dex1.shtml
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :-)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854
GoldenOldie

Post by GoldenOldie »

GeraldH wrote:There are some historic colour pictures here which might help...

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/br ... dex1.shtml
Thanks for the site link Gerald, I got lost down that particular rabbit hole for quite a while!
GoldenOldie

Post by GoldenOldie »

Just to round off the thread, I bit the bullet and went for the Pheonix Precision SR paints. I have to say they're excellent and my misgivings about enamel paints were quickly dispelled, they're much easier to use that I remember from back in the 70s!

Here are a few photos of the results. The platform itself is a dark Vallejo brown, drybrushed with a lighter shade of brown where I would anticipate heavier footfall but all quite subtle. The roof is grey, washed with Citadel's Agrax Earthshade and drybrushed with the grey again over the shade.

Weathering isn't quite finished, I still need to tone down the platform shelter a little but I'm waiting on delivery of some DCC Concepts Weathering Powders first. Ideally I'd like to put some better quality posters/timetables on the shelter but that can wait for now.

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

That looks very nice.
Ken
Bigglesof266

Post by Bigglesof266 »

Good job!

But what happened to your halt's nameboard?

I have built that kit too. A quick easy build kit yet which really hits the suspension of disbelief button all dressed up in its workclothes.

Always been something I can't quite put a finger on that's really appealing about station halts for me.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

Nice job of building and painting.
Pete.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I have always liked the Southern Railway colours when it comes to their buildings. The green is bright and cheerful.
The strange thing is that I have not seen that Wills halt in Southern colours so it is a nice change.