Deltic directional lighting?

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
centenary

Deltic directional lighting?

Post by centenary »

Hi. Ive purchased a Bachmann Deltic for a reasonable price. It is model number 32-529A-PO09 Duke of Wellington Regiment and is described as 21 pin DCC ready.

Can anyone confirm whether this model has working red tail lights out of the box (and no Im not able to test run it yet else Id know). I have found an 'unfitted spare part' and queried this with the sellers. They say it is an additional part to illuminate tail lights and must not have been fitted by the previous owner.

The seller says it only has illuminated head codes whereas Id have thought if it was 21 pin, it would have full directional lighting?

The Model Rail Database says it has 'Directional lighting' but doesnt say if this is just headcodes or full headcodes and tail lights. https://www.modelraildatabase.com/locom ... ails/1207/

Cheers
centenary

Re: Deltic directional lighting?

Post by centenary »

Well, Ive managed to test run this little beauty and I can confirm it does have directional lighting! Headcodes lit up at the forward end, red tail lights on the rear. Reverse direction and they swap.

Goodness knows what the spare part came from. Bought it from hattons for £106 so well pleased.
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

The real question is, are they on independent functions. In real life, the tail lights would only be illuminated if the loco was pushing from the rear or running light engine. If the loco was backing down onto a train, there would also be no reason for the lights to change.
Directional lighting is the best you can do with analogue DC control. But DCC allows you to run things more realistically, and I'd always recommend setting lights up for direct control where possible.
centenary

Post by centenary »

pete12345 wrote:The real question is, are they on independent functions. In real life, the tail lights would only be illuminated if the loco was pushing from the rear or running light engine. If the loco was backing down onto a train, there would also be no reason for the lights to change.
Directional lighting is the best you can do with analogue DC control. But DCC allows you to run things more realistically, and I'd always recommend setting lights up for direct control where possible.
I intend to fit a dcc chip with sound and at the moment, it is just dc. That mean the answer is no, at the moment they arent independent. There are no external switches underneath either so Im presuming to be fully independent on dcc, may require re soldering some wires or, maybe switchable via a 'top end' dcc chip.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bach's 55 was introduced around 2004/2005, back when we were still pleasantly surprised to have locos that were dimensionally correct with an accurately reproduced livery, and an effective and reliable twin bogie drive and some lighting fitted! Don't believe it has been significantly upgraded since...
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

Bigmet wrote:Bach's 55 was introduced around 2004/2005, back when we were still pleasantly surprised to have locos that were dimensionally correct with an accurately reproduced livery, and an effective and reliable twin bogie drive and some lighting fitted! Don't believe it has been significantly upgraded since...
No you are right, it hasn't been upgraded since the pcb was modified to accept a 21 pin decoder and lighting circuits added. I purchased the newest version of the Bachmann 55 last year(32-532A 55 003 "Meld") and whilst it has working head/tail lights & cab lights there is no provision to turn off the tail lights using either the decoder or by any switches. Incidentally the original Bachmann Deltics introduced in 2004/5 had 8 pin DCC sockets and were not fitted with any lights at all. Technology has moved on a bit since this model was designed and we are now seeing locos with multi functional lighting and features such as the re born Bachmann class 47 with its independantly swiychable lighting and whizzy fans! Personally I'm happy with the original 47 but that's another story.
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Metadyneman wrote:... the re born Bachmann class 47 with its independently switchable lighting and whizzy fans! Personally I'm happy with the original 47 but that's another story.
I too am dubious about the trend of a lengthening 'feature list' on D&E traction. Pushes the price up, and who is it for? The 0.1% of RTR OO diesel traction purchasers that actually chuck the box away and regularly operate their purchases? Not that I have any problem with collectorising, the occasional 'opportunity' purchase of unused models at a low price suits me very well.
centenary

Post by centenary »

Some people like and want fine scale detail on their models. I know people who fit illuminated instrument panels in RC helis and planes. People who put detail on 1:350 scale ships etc. Not sure Im paying £350 for Bachmann's latest 47 much as I like it because I have the previous version.

There's plenty of non fine scale model locos out there ranging from Railroad \ EFE to 'super railroad and above.