Amps in my blocks

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
mdn7

Amps in my blocks

Post by mdn7 »

I'm going to build a 00 gauge track some 16'x6'. It will be DCC , i will be using droppers, and 2 power buses. I am going to use terminal blocks for connections, but what "amp" plastic TERMINAL blocks are needed? TIA
Bufferstop

Re: Amps in my blocks

Post by Bufferstop »

Use terminal blocks rated for whatever is the maximum ampage of the power supply. It's possible that a partial short circuit can draw just below the tripping current of the power supply. So if the spec for your power supply says a maximum of five amps, you should use five amp connectors. However, some years ago a friend asked whether he should replace the two amp connectors in his control panel with five amp ones, So we put it to the test. We hitched a school lab style slider rehostat an ammeter and a car battery with a two amp connector in the wiring. We ran it at two amps for half an hour, it didn't get warm, so we turned it up to five amps for another half hour, it still didn't get warm. I think there may be some overengineering in the connectors, I will say that we were post careful about cutting, stripping and clamping the wires, they are probably designed with an allowance for some decidedly average terminations.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Suzie

Re: Amps in my blocks

Post by Suzie »

The size required will be the size big enough to take your bus cable.

If you are using 2.5mm^2 cable you will probably need 15A terminal blocks or possibly larger to be big enough to take the cable, even though you will not be drawing anything like that sort of current.