Greetings

Welcome to New Railway Modellers Forum. Read the Introduction and Terms and conditions of New Railway Modellers model railway forum. Introduce yourself to the members in this section.
Someone

Greetings

Post by Someone »

I have posted quite a few things here but I have never really introduced myself, I am Someone who likes trains, I model 00 gauge and I plan to build a Scottish themed layout.

My main Railway interests:

Caledonian sleeper
West highland line
Modern image
Caledonian Railway
British electric trains both AC and DC

My non-railway interest

Geography
Scotland
Tornado's (Loco and weather)
Sci-fi
Airplanes

Apologies for my bad joke and dead meme in my signature, I probably remove the meme at some point.
Last edited by Someone on Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Someone is stealing wheels from Police cars, The Authorities are working tirelessly to catch them.
Ex-Pat

Re: Greetings

Post by Ex-Pat »

Welcome Someone - I've been here for 10 years and not got round to it!

Always interested in Scottish interest - I see the NBR gets a backdoor mention with the West Highland line - seems you will be doing modern image?
captrees

Post by captrees »

Someone wrote:I have posted quite a few things here but I have never really introduced myself, I am Someone

Thank goodness for that. If you hadn't just introduced yourself you might have been Anyone.

Welcome.
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

captrees wrote:
Someone wrote:I have posted quite a few things here but I have never really introduced myself, I am Someone

Thank goodness for that. If you hadn't just introduced yourself you might have been Anyone.

Welcome.
Worse still, being No one.

Welcome on board.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Hello.

Scotland is wierd in that if one goes there, there are sizable distances inbetween petrol stations so one is almost running dry and one finds one, so one fills up to the top and pays well over the normal price per letre to do it as one does not want to end up stranded, and then between a quarter of a mile to half a mile further on one finds another petrol station with very cheap fuel that all the locos use! This happened a few times on my journey to Scotland and back and it has been set up like this to take advantage of all incomers who don't know this.
On the plus side their carparks are set up with tourism in mind and will have spaces in many of them to accomodate both a car and a caravan in one complete unit. Something that is unheard of in the touristy areas of Wales which seem to be set up gainst people using caravans or trailers or campers... Everything in Wales is "No this and no that" when it comes to attracting visitors. Scotland is "Come and see and we will accomodate you". (I live in Wales).
Wales is not serious about attracting tourism unless it is posh cars parked in ultra expensive hotels. At least Scotland has a much more practical approach for those who want to take a holiday.

Having said that,scenery wize, I actually prefer Wales because it has everything without the need to drive too many miles to see it. Ok, a fill days trip of non stop driving from South Wales to North and back, but Scotland due to its size and distances needs a few days to do the same. My impression of both is that Scotland has had far more money spent on its roads and railways... Its transport network. With Wales one is almost going back to the 1950's if one tries to travel from south to north as main A roads and B roads can struggle in width in places to fit the width of a single lorry! Scotlands main roads will usually fit four side by side.

I was warned "Do not take a caravan to Scotland. Their roads are narrow". I had to take one so as my caravan was big, I bought a cheap small caravan secondhand and used a tent as well for the four of us. In all that travelling, I only found one single track road as narrow as they were in Wales which went around one of their Lochs. I did not quite get to the very top of Scotland but my impressions are that the roads are more like wide American country roads so I do not see what the ones advising me were on about? Maybe I was lucky?
Someone

Post by Someone »

Mountain wrote:Hello.

Scotland is wierd in that if one goes there, there are sizable distances inbetween petrol stations so one is almost running dry and one finds one, so one fills up to the top and pays well over the normal price per letre to do it as one does not want to end up stranded, and then between a quarter of a mile to half a mile further on one finds another petrol station with very cheap fuel that all the locos use! This happened a few times on my journey to Scotland and back and it has been set up like this to take advantage of all incomers who don't know this.
On the plus side their carparks are set up with tourism in mind and will have spaces in many of them to accomodate both a car and a caravan in one complete unit. Something that is unheard of in the touristy areas of Wales which seem to be set up gainst people using caravans or trailers or campers... Everything in Wales is "No this and no that" when it comes to attracting visitors. Scotland is "Come and see and we will accomodate you". (I live in Wales).
Wales is not serious about attracting tourism unless it is posh cars parked in ultra expensive hotels. At least Scotland has a much more practical approach for those who want to take a holiday.

Having said that,scenery wize, I actually prefer Wales because it has everything without the need to drive too many miles to see it. Ok, a fill days trip of non stop driving from South Wales to North and back, but Scotland due to its size and distances needs a few days to do the same. My impression of both is that Scotland has had far more money spent on its roads and railways... Its transport network. With Wales one is almost going back to the 1950's if one tries to travel from south to north as main A roads and B roads can struggle in width in places to fit the width of a single lorry! Scotlands main roads will usually fit four side by side.

I was warned "Do not take a caravan to Scotland. Their roads are narrow". I had to take one so as my caravan was big, I bought a cheap small caravan secondhand and used a tent as well for the four of us. In all that travelling, I only found one single track road as narrow as they were in Wales which went around one of their Lochs. I did not quite get to the very top of Scotland but my impressions are that the roads are more like wide American country roads so I do not see what the ones advising me were on about? Maybe I was lucky?
I don't live anywhere near either of them.
Someone is stealing wheels from Police cars, The Authorities are working tirelessly to catch them.
Someone

Post by Someone »

Ex-Pat wrote:Welcome Someone - I've been here for 10 years and not got round to it!

Always interested in Scottish interest - I see the NBR gets a backdoor mention with the West Highland line - seems you will be doing modern image?
Yes I do Modern image. I have plans to have a Kato Unitrack layout aswell to run trains that don't fit into the era and location of my "Scenic" Model railway.