Powering Kato Turnout control levers without Kato powerpack

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
Someone

Powering Kato Turnout control levers without Kato powerpack

Post by Someone »

How do I power Kato Turnout control levers without needing a Kato controller, I have a DCC++ control system but want to use the levers for turnout control.
Someone is stealing wheels from Police cars, The Authorities are working tirelessly to catch them.
Bigmet

Re: Powering Kato Turnout control levers without Kato powerpack

Post by Bigmet »

Is there a set of instructions from Kato describing what input is required? That's where I would start from, and if nothing of the sort is available then move on to exercising google-fu with as many relevant search terms as you can think up.
Someone

Post by Someone »

Bigmet wrote:Is there a set of instructions from Kato describing what input is required? That's where I would start from, and if nothing of the sort is available then move on to exercising google-fu with as many relevant search terms as you can think up.
I googled it but the answers I couldn't understand.
Someone is stealing wheels from Police cars, The Authorities are working tirelessly to catch them.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Kato solinoid point motors require a DC power supply of 12 volts at ideally a minimum of 1.0 Amp.
Next the solinoid Kato motor needs a Double Pole Double Throw (DPDT) sprung to centre Off toggle switch or the special Kato point lever switch which has momentary contacts.
The Kato solinoid point motor must only ever have a pulse of power applied to its coils, never allow the power to remain connected to the motor! Hence the sprung to centre Off switch or the Kato momentary lever.
To get the motor to throw one way, a momentary positive is applied to one wire to the motor and negative to the other wire. To drive the point the opposite way the supply is reversed by the switch or lever, so what was a positive feed wire now becomes a negative wire and the former negative wire becomes a positive wire, of course this is only a brief pulse of DC power.

If you want to use the Kato lever then feed a 12v DC supply to the wider side connectors either way around and the point motor to the narrow edge connection. If the point moves the opposite way to the lever swap around the two supply wires on the lever.
Kato lever.jpg
If using a sprung to centre switch, (Much cheaper option!) then wire the DPDT Centre off switch, which has six tabs as .... Upper pair of tabs have the DC power supply on them plus a short link wire on each tab to the opposite sides lower tab making sort of X wiring - Upper left to lower right and upper right to lower left. The two middle tabs have the two wires running out to the point motor. If the motor operates in reverse to the switches position reverse the two wires on the middle tabs only.
Kato motor wiring.jpg
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

I power mine from the additional output on my hornby controllers, you can get a clip that attaches into the side of the bank of switches with wires that connect to your controller.

Alex

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"