Blending Kato Unitrack in scenery

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Someone

Blending Kato Unitrack in scenery

Post by Someone »

I like Kato Unitrack and I want to use the HO stuff, my only issue being the plastic roadbed is unrealistic high for UK outline, is there anyway to fix this without heavy track modification.
Someone is stealing wheels from Police cars, The Authorities are working tirelessly to catch them.
Flashbang

Re: Blending Kato Unitrack in scenery

Post by Flashbang »

If you don't already have the Kato track then use Peco or Hornby Setrack of flexi track. OO and HO use the same track profile.

If you have Kato track, then lay track directly on the baseboard and place 3mm cork cut to shape abutting the track bed. The cork bringing the level up by 3mm around the track. Then ballast as normal to hide the plastic Kato track. :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

You don't want to mess about with the track base, not least as the full depth is required if you want to use the built in point motors. I rather feel you have to work around this aspect of Unitrack as suggested above, if you are committed to using it.

One thought, what period of operation do you have in mind? 'Out in the country' Unitrack ballasting is probably not far off correct for current deep ballasted UK main line track.

Needs some thought and planning before wading in...
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Cork underlay strips that split down the middle usually do so with an angled split and can be butted up against Unitrak to cut out the height issue immediately adjacent.
Someone

Post by Someone »

Bigmet wrote:You don't want to mess about with the track base, not least as the full depth is required if you want to use the built in point motors. I rather feel you have to work around this aspect of Unitrack as suggested above, if you are committed to using it.

One thought, what period of operation do you have in mind? 'Out in the country' Unitrack ballasting is probably not far off correct for current deep ballasted UK main line track.

Needs some thought and planning before wading in...
My layout is British countryside loosely based of the north but freelance buildings and Rolling stock.
Someone is stealing wheels from Police cars, The Authorities are working tirelessly to catch them.
Someone

Post by Someone »

Flashbang wrote:If you don't already have the Kato track then use Peco or Hornby Setrack of flexi track. OO and HO use the same track profile.

If you have Kato track, then lay track directly on the baseboard and place 3mm cork cut to shape abutting the track bed. The cork bringing the level up by 3mm around the track. Then ballast as normal to hide the plastic Kato track. :D
I haven't bought Kato track yet but I want to use it because it can be taken down and but back together easily, I have a plan on building my scenery so it is easily removable, to complicated to explain.