Basic DC wiring set up for new layout - help please!

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
djangouk

Basic DC wiring set up for new layout - help please!

Post by djangouk »

Hi,

I've been looking at this forum for years and have finally got the space to build an N guage layout, but I am really not sure how to set it up in terms of wiring.

I have bought elecrtrofrog points. I'd prefer to keep things as simple as possible - ideally no switches. It's an end to end layout and I only want to run one train at a time. I've attached a crude diagram re the track plan. Am I right in assuming:

*within a loop there needs to be isolated fishplates
*Every electro frog point needs to have isolated fishplates on the the two inner rails of the frog
*My goods yard include sidings which face the other way of the current. For these I need to take a feed from the nearby main track

Any advice is much appreciated. Looking forward to sharing progress in the models under construction section.

Andy
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-11-13 at 09.42.49.png
fourtytwo

Re: Basic DC wiring set up for new layout - help please!

Post by fourtytwo »

A lot depends upon how you decide to use your electrofrog points.
The simplest installation with no switches means you leave the wire links as per factory and make no connection to the frog wire, this means your frog contact will rely upon the wiper contacts under the switch rails (not always the most reliable especially after using PVA etc during ballasting).
For all other methods you need a changeover switch to change the frog polarity according to the point position.

It is not true that you need to insulate all point frog rails, for example the throat of a set of otherwise unconnected sidings does not need this.

The best place to put the rail gaps in your crossover at top left is within the crossover itself rather than the sidings as you have shown.

I think you should move your main feed to the extreme right, the fiddle yard can then be fed via the station providing the same platform road is set at both ends, this will also feed the goods yard when the crossover is to main. The only other feed you need is the right hand goods yard spur that will operate when the crossover to main is not set.

You don't need the rail breaks halfway down the platforms, I am assuming per your text you only have one controller and one loco on the running lines at a time.
Thats where I would start anyway :)
A fresh start in OO, DC Steam
b308

Post by b308 »

Even moving the feed to the right won't feed the headshunt for the goods yard. Personally I'd treat the goods yard as a totally separate section, feed wise. Put a double set of insulating joiners on the crossover into the goods yard so it isolates it from the main running lines then put a new feed for the goods yard between the two points on the right, that way it'll feed all roads including the headshunt.
roganty

Post by roganty »

djangouk wrote:I've been looking at this forum for years and have finally got the space to build an N guage layout, but I am really not sure how to set it up in terms of wiring.

I have bought elecrtrofrog points. I'd prefer to keep things as simple as possible - ideally no switches. It's an end to end layout and I only want to run one train at a time. I've attached a crude diagram re the track plan. Am I right in assuming:

*within a loop there needs to be isolated fishplates
*Every electro frog point needs to have isolated fishplates on the the two inner rails of the frog
*My goods yard include sidings which face the other way of the current. For these I need to take a feed from the nearby main track
Djangouk, welcome to the forum.

You are partially correct with your assumptions, but you don't need to put any breaks in the middle of your loops, the isolated fishplates on the frog will provide the isolation you need.

Were you placed a red mark on your diagram is were you would place a power feed to power the loops. You will also need to add a feed to each of the open ends.
Last edited by roganty on Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Main Layout: Planning | The Build

Erikslund - a small shunting layout
roganty

Post by roganty »

fourtytwo wrote:A lot depends upon how you decide to use your electrofrog points.
The simplest installation with no switches means you leave the wire links as per factory and make no connection to the frog wire
This is for N gauge, there is no modification need.

fourtytwo wrote:It is not true that you need to insulate all point frog rails, for example the throat of a set of otherwise unconnected sidings does not need this.

The best place to put the rail gaps in your crossover at top left is within the crossover itself rather than the sidings as you have shown.

I think you should move your main feed to the extreme right, the fiddle yard can then be fed via the station providing the same platform road is set at both ends, this will also feed the goods yard when the crossover is to main. The only other feed you need is the right hand goods yard spur that will operate when the crossover to main is not set.

You don't need the rail breaks halfway down the platforms, I am assuming per your text you only have one controller and one loco on the running lines at a time.
Thats where I would start anyway :)
This depends on if he's using DCC or DC
Main Layout: Planning | The Build

Erikslund - a small shunting layout