Double Fairlie from Bachmann

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
Mike Parkes

Re: Double Fairlie from Bachmann

Post by Mike Parkes »

Bachmanns lastest announcment video at 26:04 shows one running over a 009 crossover and round a curve that is probably 9" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imDuJQxYk-g At 1:28 there is one of the Quarry Hunslets running round a 2p coin!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The running round a coin trick isn't that difficult for an 0-4-0, providing you can produce a perfectly circular rail of the required diameter, and your wheels have tapered flanges and a widish tyre. The flanges on the inner wheels touch the coin at just one central point. The flanges on the outer wheels touch at the leading edge of the front wheel and the trailing edge of the rear wheel with just a little clearance, that's why the tyres need to be a bit wider, so they don't fall down the inner face of the rail. There was a display of various circular models doing the exhibition circuit a few years back. It featured a loco, wagon and brake van running on a CD, the coin one, think it was an old half-crown, and a tram running round a beer mat, plus a few more. Have to admire the skill in building them, I would imagine the rails are actually cut from a disk mounted on a face plate in a lathe.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
joshs

Post by joshs »

heres a video of 2 running on a layout they are rather nice models https://youtu.be/2qR5EjkzQ0U
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

Had mine round a Fleischmann no.1 curve - 7 1/2" radius without any problem.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Impressive to run around a coin but realistically impractical due to the limits that the couplings can accomodate, as it is all very well to take a little 4 wheeled loco round such a curve but if it can't pull anything then it is practically useless and more of a gimick.
What I will say is that it does show that one can build a railway that will fit in a small space as enlarge the radius a bit and do some experiments with some suitable coaches or waggons that will also take sharp curves and one has some nice potential.

I know a challenge they could try to conquor coin-wize and that is the 50 pence piece. :D

What sort of price are those little locos anyway? I can see them having good potential to run in a corner of a 00 gauge layout!