Backscenes

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
pete12345

Backscenes

Post by pete12345 »

I need to complete the scenery around my river bridge. The backscene in this area hides the fiddle yard, so that needs painting first. So what's the best technique here? The bridge is close the the backscene boards with no real room for physical scenery behind it, so I was thinking a simple cloudy sky effect would look better than painting on fields or whatever. Maybe elsewhere when the terrain is flatter though.

My thoughts are to paint the whole sky a pale blue/grey, then add various greyer colours to represent clouds- maybe wiping some off to give breaks in the clouds. Maybe I need to watch some old Bob Ross!
Journeyman

Re: Backscenes

Post by Journeyman »

Don’t know a lot about model railways but I do know a bit about painting :).
Best thing is to look at the rail thing, the sky and clouds if you like the prototype!.

If you go outside you’ll notice that the sky is a dome not flat like we see in a photo. Also the clouds are three dimensional.
If the sky is clear we would see how the colours change from the dark blue over head to a much lighter blue as we look towards the horizon.
This is because we are looking through a lot more atmosphere and condensation lower down. Depending on the day this gives the sky a lot more colour, yellows and reds etc.
Because the clouds are 3D they have shadows, they also reflect lots of colour so on a bright day they will reflect the warm light from the sun. On the sunny side they will reflect towards yellows and on the side away from the sun they will reflect the blue of the sky, usually looking rather blue gray. The underside will be gray but will also be reflecting the colour from the sunlight reflecting off the ground so a warm red gray.
All these colours are subtle not bright in your face, but all the colours are there and very varied and changing, no part of the sky will be the same.

Dave.