Mystery Cardstock

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Bufferstop

Mystery Cardstock

Post by Bufferstop »

Searching for some card for a job I was doing, amongst my hoard of "this might be usefuls" I found 3 x A5 sheets of "good quality white card" except that it was laminated to an equally good quality brown card, making a rigid sheet slightly stiffer than postcard. The brown(khaki) side is ideal as un painted wood if cut into planks. Of course I can't remember where it came from, it was doubtless part of the packaging of something we have received in the last few months
So should anyone come across any of this card please tell me what it was in. Even better if the stuff is available in stationery or craft shops tell me where.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Daniel

Re: Mystery Cardstock

Post by Daniel »

Except for the colour it sounds as Bristol card.
It is being very successfully used for laser cutting and has been for many decades used as building material by mnany modellers.
But all I have seen are white, often -not always- with a grey or black core.

Daniel
My new Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/

My old Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daniel_1_32_scale/page223

Being right is one thing, but being true is quite another.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Thanks Daniel, I've put crafts shops on my list of places of interest. The rise of the "Hobbycraft" chain of stores is a mixed blessing as it means you can always find the things that they sell, but the smaller independent places, which have a more varied stock, are harder to find.
Lofty

Post by Lofty »

Going slightly off track…

An old boy that I knew a few years ago used nothing but breakfast cereal packets, he used to laminate them together with PVA, mostly double thickness but occasionally three. He used a few books as a press to keep it all flat whilst it dried out. He produced some of the best scratch built buildings that I have seen.
Once upon a time I built a model railway in the loft. Now I dabble on much smaller baseboards.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Up to about twenty years ago, you could rely on a steady source of packaging materials, plenty of flat card of consistent quality, didn't have to be particularly good, just consistent. Nowadays the manufacturers are forever changing what they use, if not to shave microscopic savings of the cost, then it will be to make it different, in the hope of attracting a few extra sales.
Some jobs are worth sourcing a consistent supply, even in extreme cases paying for it, rather than risk the supply drying up because someone's changed the design, or supplier.