Piko loco doesn't fit track gauge ?

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
RobLeighton

Piko loco doesn't fit track gauge ?

Post by RobLeighton »

I've just bought from eBay, from the same seller, an N gauge Piko E9210 electric locomotive (Russian star badged) and some N gauge Piko mineral trucks.

The trucks are fine and fit the little beginner set circle of Graham Farish (Peco) track that came with my "Gaffer" set.

What's bizarre is that the back-to-backs of locomotive bogies are way too big for the track - the wheels basically sit on the outside of the rails!
To be honest it looks massive compared with the other wagons/locos I have.

The loco came with a German manual that definitely calls it N spur (gauge) but no box... what did I buy ?
luckymucklebackit

Re: Piko loco doesn't fit track gauge ?

Post by luckymucklebackit »

RobLeighton wrote:I've just bought from eBay, from the same seller, an N gauge Piko E9210 electric locomotive (Russian star badged) and some N gauge Piko mineral trucks.

The trucks are fine and fit the little beginner set circle of Graham Farish (Peco) track that came with my "Gaffer" set.

What's bizarre is that the back-to-backs of locomotive bogies are way too big for the track - the wheels basically sit on the outside of the rails!

The loco came with a German manual that definitely calls it N spur (gauge) but no box... what did I buy ?
Is it N gauge or N scale? Could be a model of a Russian Locomotive that has been built or re-gauged to the correct Russian Gauge of 5'-0"? (10mm)

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
RobLeighton

Post by RobLeighton »

Yes, that's it I think - N scale is how it is referred to elsewhere on the web but it was sold to me as N gauge...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIKO-N-GAUGE ... 7675.l2557

I'll see about refund - shame that, it's really quite a nice model.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

RobLeighton wrote:...What's bizarre is that the back-to-backs of locomotive bogies are way too big for the track - the wheels basically sit on the outside of the rails!

Just a guess, but Piko also make TT, 12mm gauge. If they made a model of this subject in N and TT, and an owner had both and mixed them up...

Worth asking the seller if such a mix up could have occurred, and if he might still have a TT box with an N gauge loco in it.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I think it's a TT gauge model, you say it seems massive. TT in Europe approximated to 2.5mm/ft. The back to back would be just right to straddle N gauge track.
When Triang introduced TT in the UK, just like the 00/H0 fudge, they went for 3mm/ft, calling it TT3, Continental TT being called TT25 in the UK. The few TT25 locos I saw were all large loco designs which were probably a bit overscale around the cylinders. The only diesel or electric types I can remember were ones that had inside frame bogies and rather prominent wheels.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions