Wiring a accessory decoder....

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
mdn7

Wiring a accessory decoder....

Post by mdn7 »

I will be using Hornby R8247 points and accessory decoders with my layout...... eventually. I have noticed the decoders are supplied with power clips, so my question is... Do i use the power clip into the track? or do i clip the ends and solder to the power bus..?
Roger (RJ)

Re: Wiring a accessory decoder....

Post by Roger (RJ) »

Soldering is the better option.
mdn7

Post by mdn7 »

Roger (RJ) wrote:Soldering is the better option.
Cheers, it was my initial thought..... by the looks of it, i could be having up to 7-8 decoders to wire up......
Roger (RJ)

Post by Roger (RJ) »

The only time I would use accessory decoders would be if I was going to be building a computer controlled layout. For a manually operated layout, conventional point operation with a switch is easier, quicker and rather cheaper.
RFS

Post by RFS »

Roger (RJ) wrote:The only time I would use accessory decoders would be if I was going to be building a computer controlled layout. For a manually operated layout, conventional point operation with a switch is easier, quicker and rather cheaper.
I have a computer-controlled layout with 60+ point motors. A few years ago the Lenz PC interface failed and had to be sent away for repair. So until it came back about 3 weeks later I could only operate the layout by changing points on the throttle as well as running a train. Was an absolute nightmare even if I could remember the point addresses! So gave up and did some scenic work for a while.
Robert Smith
mdn7

Post by mdn7 »

It will be a computer controlled layout.... will have lots of time to get things up and running, its just in the planning stage at the moment, buying track, accessories at the moment as I have a layout in mind. It will have about 30 points and accessories to add i think i will have to hook up to the National Grid.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

I have 21 points, some paired together giving the need for 16 decoder ports i.e. 4 x R8247s. The R8247 will fire paired solenoids but it is not officially supported as it depends upon the type of solenoid and of course they must be paired like for like, i.e. both R8014 or both R8243.
As the R8247s are powered from the bus if you have many you may have to switch them into circuit in batches to limit the inrush current that charges the capacitors from tripping the controller.
If your intended PC software supports the use of two controllers then you can use one for running locos on the track bus and the other on a separate bus purely for points and signals.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
mdn7

Post by mdn7 »

Mmmmm food for thought, as I stated the layout I want to do has 32 ish (might change it) adding signals and couple optional extras it probably would be a good idea to have a second bus for locos :P then I have the option to add even more extras :wink: