O Gauge Wire Mesh Fencing

Discussion of large gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (1 gauge, O gauge, S gauge etc)
Richard08

O Gauge Wire Mesh Fencing

Post by Richard08 »

Hi, does anyone know of a supplier of O gauge mesh/security fencing, the kind you get round a fuel depot. Or the bits to make such (the Woodland Scenics stuff is way to 'clunky').
Cheers
Bufferstop

Re: O Gauge Wire Mesh Fencing

Post by Bufferstop »

I got some woven mesh which was too small for 4mm "gabions" might be passable as 7mm mesh. Remind me next week if I haven't come back on it. I'll need to search for the invoice. They had multiple sizes of woven metal mesh. My 4mm mesh for fencing is "bridal dressmaker's lace. Right size holes but a real b' to paint.

John W
aka bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Bufferstop wrote:I got some woven mesh which was too small for 4mm "gabions" might be passable as 7mm mesh. Remind me next week if I haven't come back on it. I'll need to search for the invoice. They had multiple sizes of woven metal mesh. My 4mm mesh for fencing is "bridal dressmaker's lace. Right size holes but a real b' to paint.

John W
aka bufferstop.
I have a theory. If you spray paint it where you have a non stick sheet of something above the fence, and you spray from below, the spray will hit the underside of the fence and also the spray will bounce off the non stick material and land on the other side of the fence, so one could (If it works) spray both sides in one go? It is just a thought. It might not work.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I saw a lovely 09 layout which had some lovely barb wire fencing which had been home made.It was very effective.
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Thanks for the replies. Someone, LCUT?, does the concrete posts with the angled bit on the top, so guitar strings would do for the support wires and barbed wire is available for the angled strands at the top - the real problem is the mesh. I got some exquisite stuff from HobbyHolidays for walk-way gratings, but the lack of photo's on their site make picking the right one somewhat problematic (I guessed for the grating mesh and got lucky!) This is the sort of thing I want to recreate
fuelsepot.jpg
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Would some sort of muslim cloth do as repinted no one will know that it is not metal.

Barbe wire I saw was ordinary thin wire that someone had handmade individual barbs onto it.
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Mountain wrote:Would some sort of muslim cloth do
That would be "muslin".

"tulle" ribbon might work?

https://www.ribtex.com.au/product/6013- ... lack-1roll

don't know where you'd look in UK.
Regards
Rob
Renovater

Post by Renovater »

Richard08 wrote:Hi, does anyone know of a supplier of O gauge mesh/security fencing, the kind you get round a fuel depot. Or the bits to make such (the Woodland Scenics stuff is way to 'clunky').
Cheers
Have you tried here ? If they don't have it they may well know where to find it. https://www.scalelink.co.uk
Colin James....
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

Thanks again for the replies - food for thought & search :-) The material suggestion is interesting - I need to look at net curtains perhaps! And a plough through the Scalelink site... Medical gauze has also been suggested.
Cheers!
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Mountain wrote:Barbe wire I saw was ordinary thin wire that someone had handmade individual barbs onto it.
Barbs?
In 1:36 scale?
That's barbaric!
Cheers
Chris
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Ironduke wrote:
Mountain wrote:Would some sort of muslim cloth do
That would be "muslin".

Ah. So it does not come from the Middle East?
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Mountain wrote:Barbe wire I saw was ordinary thin wire that someone had handmade individual barbs onto it.
Barbs?
In 1:36 scale?
That's barbaric!
Cheers
Chris
Haha.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Invoice proving illusive, so resorted to Google. Take a look here
The sample from Amazon looks promising. Looking at the prototype thing above, the most important thing is that it's as near invisible as anything. The holes are probably the right size, its the wire joining them together that's a bit thick :?
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
ChrisGreaves

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Richard08 wrote:Hi, does anyone know of a supplier of O gauge mesh/security fencing, the kind you get round a fuel depot. Or the bits to make such (the Woodland Scenics stuff is way to 'clunky').
Cheers
Richard, you are in luck! I have just yesterday completed the two wooden chimney covers, a task which was due over twelve months ago:-
20210904_095257.jpg
Here is one of the covers, upside down, with its layer of carpet scrap around its edges. The hole in the centre uses a scrap of electrical cable for a weight suspended inside the chimney to hold the cover in place. I have left a trimming of carpet in the centre.
20210904_095317.jpg
Here is a close-up; it seems to me that the silvery-grey looks as if it doesn't need painting; just glue it to uprights and your oil-depot is well protected.
20210904_095324.jpg
Limited stocks are available until next year, when Bernard gets back to tipping truckloads of grass clippings at my place. Each truckload comes with a wide variety of debris, all of it useful.
20210904_095351.jpg
Please do NOT confuse the sample shown in the second image with what you usually see when you rip out old office carpet. There is a coarse-grain suitable only for higher scales (but I don't know what comes after "O". "1" and "2" I suppose). The coarse base holds a finer base (Image 2) which then holds a pile of carpet fibre.

FREE postage to anywhere in the world, if you can't lay your hands on someone else laying carpet!
Cheers
Chris
Richard08

Post by Richard08 »

The bottom photo looks promising - getting all the carpet off might be a tad time consuming. Goes off to lift corners of carpets 'just for a look'...