LNER footbridges

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Firefly16

LNER footbridges

Post by Firefly16 »

Venturing out of my GWR/SR comfort zone, I am working on the buildings etc. of an idealised post war West Finchley station that will never see a tube train because its setting is still largely rural (sheep were actually grazed slightly further south between the wars). Work is already advanced on one of the platform building and I have acquired a Hornby R076 footbridge; an attractive piece of kit in itself, a bonus is that it bears the magic words 'Made in Great Britain'. With a little tweaking it will make a passable representation of the one taken from Annesley on the GCR. Which leads me to my query - Does anyone know the colour scheme for LNER footbridges in the years just before nationalisation? Any information on this point will be greatly appreciated.
Bigmet

Re: LNER footbridges

Post by Bigmet »

I have a near lifetime experience of an LNER constructed footbridge about 15 miles North of West Finchley ATCF, and am confident from having seen it worked on over the years that the exterior structure was painted 'battleship grey'. Not that this could be seen immediately post steam operations in the 1960s: it was 'railway filth' a matt dark grey brown. I am confident that this is the way it looked in LNER operation - other than immediately following a repaint should it have been so fortunate as to receive one - as there is a colour photograph from 1937, showing it looming dark and dingy in the background of an otherwise colourful scene: lined apple green D16/2 to the fore, the Shredded Wheat factory very white to the side, etc.. HTH.
Firefly16

Re: LNER footbridges

Post by Firefly16 »

Thank you, Bigmet. The information based on first hand knowledge you provided is much appreciated!