Bachmann 32-850NRM 9F comments sought

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
End2end

Bachmann 32-850NRM 9F comments sought

Post by End2end »

The final loco I'd like to add to my fleet is a 9F
I've seen the Bachmann 32-850NRM BR Standard Class 9F and wondered if any members own or have comments on it.
http://www.locomotionmodels.com/exclusi ... -92220.htm
I think the model looks superb with the copper piping but looks do not necessarily mean it runs well.
Maybe you own one and have found the dcc easy to fit or maybe improved it with sound or even, it run's like a slug?
Any comments would be appreciated. :wink:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bigmet

Re: Bachmann 32-850NRM 9F comments sought

Post by Bigmet »

It's a good model, mechanically fully up to the job, appearance all around satisfactory. I have had my four (regular black BR1F tender dry side allocated) in operation for between fifteen and fourteen years, all purchased in the first year after release. Easy decoder fit on these early versions, 8 pin socket in the smokebox, plenty of room for a decoder. (Has it since been altered for decoder in the tender to allow easier sound fitting?) Lenz standards in mine, and they operate smoothly and quietly from a dead slow creep in and out of motion with any load you care to hang on the hook.

Oh, and the centre unflanged driver is just clear of the rail on the new loco, wear started to appear on the unflanged wheeltyres after 8 years regular operation.

So, go and buy it?

Hornby are developing an all new model of the 9F, and it is pretty clear they are pushing the boat out on this. There are a good number of detail features that could be improved, especially representation of the frame tops; and the Bachmann driveline is visible, whereas Hornby have a proven concealed drive layout. And one of the launch models is - inevitably - Evening Star...
End2end

Post by End2end »

Are these the Hornby ones you mention Bigmet, specifically R3821?
https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=682

"R3821 Sold out on pre-order"
Are they Larger flanged wheels as it is marked as Triang-Hornby?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

No, that's the current model that still has 'legacy' from the 50 year old tooling. They have an all new one coming. It's still more than a year away. Scroll down the link to see the 3D renders of the intended appearance.
https://uk.hornby.com/community/blog-an ... /full-tilt
RFS

Post by RFS »

The above models R3821 etc. are the current Railroad versions. The newly-tooled verison is due out in October and Hatton's have documented it here -

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=976
Robert Smith
End2end

Post by End2end »

Many thanks members for the replies so far. :)
Hmmm decisions decisions.
I definitely want a green version but I am a ways off from buying it yet so the Hornby versions may be released at time of purchase as they are still more than a year away.
I'd like to see a painted version to see how it stands up to the NRM version.
All the coming Hornby ones are sold out on pre-order.

Somewhere around my Rule number 4 or 5 states - "this was never going to be a quick hobby" :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Quite right, take your time. What I would suggest is that when the opportunity offers, take a good look at the current Bachmann version. If it rates as 'good enough' in your opinion, then you can wait for the Hornby to appear, as interesting possibilities are in prospect. It may be that the new Hornby model proves so much better that you feel it's worth the extra money. Or you may feel that the gains don't add that much, and the Bachmann offers better value, especially if you can pick one up s/h from those replacing it with the new Hornby model.

For myself, I definitely intend buying an example of the new Hornby 9F when available: plain black, with the BR1F tender used on the ER allocation. That's mostly out of curiousity. How much further have Hornby progressed in fidelity to prototype? What compromise(s) have they settled on to enable the tricky business of mounting the brake gear strongly when there is so little space within the coupled wheelbase? Will their mechanism do yet better than Bachmann's for smoothness, traction and running reliability?
End2end

Post by End2end »

I'd be interested to see the BR1G tender painted as it states – the preferred tender of the western region.
I wonder how long it will be to see painted samples?

One thing that could seal the deal is something like smokebox lighting but I cannot see it mentioned on either of the models nor any mention of adding sound.
Sound is something I haven't got into as yet but such a large loco with sound would really add something to my layout.... eventually. :)
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

End2end wrote:I'd be interested to see the BR1G tender painted as it states – the preferred tender of the western region....
What's the concern with the tender? Hornby have the CAD for the BR1A as fitted to WR Britannias, and I have not seen any serious criticism of that model. The BR1G was a direct and modest development of the BR1A, so it should just be minor changes to the CAD to create that tender tooling for the 9F. (The Brit. first released 2006, remains a very good model BTW.)

Or is it the paint job? Hornby have rightly come in for a lot of flak over their BR green colour rendition. It's been going downhill for over a decade, the 2006 Brit was adequate, and my last BR green purchase the circa 2011 introduction of the B17, acceptable only because for my modelling period of interest they were about to be withdrawn and were frequently more than somewhat shabby. Sooner or later they will hopefully recognise that problem and address it. (I will though eventually buy a Hornby A2/3, chalky green shade and all, but only because it will be totally covered in filth once in my hands. Rather glad the V2 is coming from Bachmann, they manage a much better shade...)
End2end

Post by End2end »

Funny enough Bigmet, none of the above.
The only reason is because I'm modelling the Western region (with broad artistic license :D ) and it would be nice to see it as a decorated model beyond the CAD drawings.
To be honest I wasn't even aware of different tender designs on loco's until recently. :lol:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
End2end

Post by End2end »

Many thanks to all for the responses. :)
After much contemplation, pontification and deliberation I have chosen the NRM version and it is on it's way to me as a birthday gift.

As all the first releases of the Hornby versions are sold out on pre-order I'd have to wait even longer for another batch to reach our shores and the models aren't even up to painted samples of the initial batch yet so still some way to go.

Now I need to lay my hands on a DCC decoder for it.
Any suggestions as to which decoder would be suitable for such a large loco would be appreciated.
Or any definite no-no's that wouldn't be powerful enough?

Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

If this model still takes an 8 pin decoder then I would use a Lenz Standard, or if that's not available a Zimo MX600R. (Lowest price for a high grade decoder, either will produce good results.)

Before you run it, take a good look from the underside to make sure the connecting rods will clear the crankpins on the leading and second drivers, and that none of the other hanging rods look to be bent inwards and might be at risk of fouling. I would run the loco on test on DC at a medium speed, back and forwards an equal amount, for a total of two hours. It should run quietly and very smoothly, but will 'grunt' a little if asked to go round second radius curves. Don't fiddle with the brake detail unless it is displaced, if mishandled it often needs considerable patience to get it back in place. Left alone it stays put in my experience. (I will be watching with interest to see how Hornby incorporate this detail, there isn't much space between the wheels.)
End2end

Post by End2end »

Thanks Bigmet. All good suggestions there. :)
It hasn't arrived as yet and my running in circle is 2nd and 3rd radius but I usually use just the 3rd radius to run new locos in.
I will definitely give it a good inspection before running, even if it is just to gaze at the amazing engineering. :D
Off to check the price of those decoders.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Forgot to mention the one significant 'blooper' on all mine, purchased 15 years or so past, no idea if Bachmann have since corrected it. (Chances are not, they don't go back and correct unless there is a lot of criticism, and this model's reception was overwhelmingly positive.)

The tender drawbar offers two spacing choices, which are 'too far away', and 'much too far away'. It is done like this I think so that the plastic intermediate buffers moulded on the front of the tender dragbox won't ever foul on the rear of the loco. Any owner willing to file these away almost flush with the mounting plates can move loco and tender to a more accurate spacing. (The absence of the intermediate buffers is effectively invisible once the loco and tender are coupled, concealed beneath the cab floor extension.)

That done, drill an additional hole (10th of an inch or 2.5mm diameter) in the drawbar to reduce the spacing. If the new hole is positioned 4mm forward centre to centre of the supplied closest hole it will go around 2nd radius, and the appearance of the loco and tender combination is much more realistic. (5.5mm forward and it's bob on, restricted to a curve somewhere - not determined - between 24" and 30" radius; it's easy on 30" radius which is the tightest it works around on my layout.)
End2end

Post by End2end »

I probably won't do that unless it irks me enough to be honest Bigmet. I'm not one for 'cutting bits off' :shock: :lol:
The loco arrived today, although ordered last Tuesday, it wasn't sent until yesterday. Bit naff for the £7.50 delivery charge. :roll:

Anywho... I've already done the checks you mentioned Bigmet and ran it in for 2 hours both forward and backwards and it runs like a charm I'm pleased to say. :mrgreen:
It will now go back in it's box for safe keeping for the time being while there is a ton of stuff on top of the layout as I'm still doing the wiring and I don't have a decoder for it yet anyway. Nor is the controller attached.

One question has arose.
It has come with metal name plates. Can these be attached with tacky wax? Being as it's 'museum finish' I don't want to spoil the paint job so don't want to use the incorrect adhesive that may mark the loco.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building