What happened to Skytrex RTR O Gauge?

Discussion of large gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (1 gauge, O gauge, S gauge etc)
mahoganydog

What happened to Skytrex RTR O Gauge?

Post by mahoganydog »

Just rather curious really. I bought some many, many years ago and am now giving consideration to getting a few more and doing something with what O gauge I have but their website has virtually nothing?
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
Bigmet

Re: What happened to Skytrex RTR O Gauge?

Post by Bigmet »

The original Skytrex went bust. What is now operating is Skytrex (2013) Ltd. Don't see nearly as much advertising from them as from the past business, so have little idea of their current product range.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I had meant to follow this up, and have just got around to it. The guy who started Skytrex was a Loughborough dentist called John Hammond. (He got patients and others to privately 'invest' in his businesses, and it eventually turned out had piled up a debt in excess of £5 million.)

It was clear enough back in 2013 that he was so deeply in the mire that he wouldn't be running Syktrex any longer, and the model railway element which was a going concern was bought by two of the employees, and branded as 'Skytrex (2013) Ltd'. I don't take any model railway magazines, but see occasional copies bought by friends, and the once prominent full page Skytrex advertising has 'disappeared'; I have no recollection of any print adverts for the 'Skytrex (2013)' business, but then I wasn't looking out for it! Essentially after 2013 I had lost what little interest I had in this sad story.

However, the law certainly didn't, and a relatively simple search found the result of investigation into his business practise. Not good at all in short, resulting in a significant prison sentence for fraud:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-36464141
ctrlaltfox

Post by ctrlaltfox »

Hi all,

I can 100% say that Skytrex are still trading, yes under Skytrex (2013) Ltd as Bigmet states.
We advertise in quite a few magazines, but sadly not the full page adds of yester year - yet!

If there's a product or service you're after, give us a call, email sales@skytrex.com, or visit the website http://www.skytrex.com