kit and scratch

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
rejrob

kit and scratch

Post by rejrob »

Hi all, and i hope you are all keeping safe and well.All the different pieces i have made over the years ,both kit and scratch, and now my hands are letting me down somewhat its a job to find something to build where there are not too many parts to drop, break or lose forever????? Looking at the loco fleet there are some 10 to 12 schools class locos which were primarily used for the hastings trains, only thing was ,no coaches with the hastings width,restriction 0.Two Hornby pullmans have been altered becoming Theodora and one other named pullman .the name escaping me at this precise moment(memory loss as well) I purchased 2 restriction 0 kits from Dave at ropey mouldings (1st class and 6 berth 3rd brake and duly nearly completed the 1st carriage.Not happy at all with my workmanship so unsoldered it and came up with another idea which seems to be working.Purchased a hornby 1st and 3rd class brake and removed the bodies.Chassis put to one side. Then cut the coach ends top to bottom giving a width of a shade over 31mm.Then cut across the roof leaving just the end in its new size(good eh)The water toilet feeds were removed from their fixing points on the ends first????.The two brass sides, duly cleaned up of solder ,were then glued to their respective ends and fitted beautifully.,yeaaaaa?Width of coach 32+mm.the replacement roofs are to be the branchlines universal roof, no better one on the market surely>The centre catch on the chassis where the clear plastic hook on the window part fits is removed All i have to do now is paint the roof and sides (primer) and then finish in green or red/white.All the ancillaries are on the hornby parts retained.I think i will retain the hornby bogies and interior, less for me to do.I will have Set 213 ;216 a couple of pullmans and maybe a comp later but if all ends well who knows Hope all keep well and happy modelling Ron :D :D
rejrob

Re: kit and scratch

Post by rejrob »

Sorry all not ropey mouldings but Roxey mouldings, stupid comp correcting me when I know the name Sorry Dave at Roxey Most of my coach and EMU fleet came from dave and some altered to make unusual or unmanufactured EMUs
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It would be lovely to see some pictures of your work. Interesting stuff. :)
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Rejrob tell Dave, you fell victim to the evil AI word checker, you don't seem to be able to turn the darned thing off. It follows you along as you type just far enough behind for you no to notice what it's doing. Just to make the point when I finished the last sentence I looked back and it had decided you should be Renton! I fear the machines are winning.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions