Tree structures

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
ChrisGreaves

Tree structures

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Avoid John Garity's thread, for you will be sucked under and drowned in a flood of ideas.

John has a lot to answer for. His thread, the first post of which hooked and then reeled me in, finds me several days later still only up to page 25, and the cucumbers and pumpkins not yet planted. I can’t call it a waste of time, for John and his team have brought two eucalyptus trees into my little house plot here on the pimple that is Bonavista, jutting out into the North Atlantic Ocean.
Funicular_20210527_115947.JPG
We went through a terrible dry season this past six months of winter; almost no rain. More than enough snow, but not much for a eucalyptus to drink. This photo is not so good, so I will take my gum trees inside for a better shot.
Funicular_20210527_120326.JPG
Funicular_20210527_120326.JPG (59.31 KiB) Viewed 849 times
This looks a little better.
If you have never driven The Great Eastern Highway between Southern Cross and Merredin, you probably will not recognise these as the tall stringy-barks that threaten to topple across the highway any time of the day or night.
A bushfire has swept through, for the left-hand tree has a couple of dead limbs.
Funicular_20210527_120331.JPG
Here is a close-up showing a bit more of the damage. But you cannot see the delicate shading brought about by a can of green spray paint.
I need spray cans of black, light tan, grey, and perhaps a slightly different shade of green, more turquoisey.

So now John Garity's thread is costing me money, hard-won-cash.

I'm glad that I don't wish I had never seen John's thread ...

Sedum, since you ask.

Cheers
Chris
captrees

Re: Tree structures

Post by captrees »

Of course we have driven between Merredin and Southern Cross! Why I was only at Mundaring yesterday, contemplating heading further east, but decided to stop at the Chidlow Tavern for lunch instead. The dreaded stringybark indeed. I detect a widowmaker or two, poised to drop on the unwary.

Can't access that link to John Garity thread without joining something.

BTW I have had some success with using latex spray paint when trying to preserve bushes made from seaweed.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

I was in a shed one day and heard a really loud crack; almost like a gun going off and less than half a second later a solid sounding thud. When I went out to look there was the culprit, a gum tree had shed a branch and it wasn't a little one either. I've never stood under one since.

Only last night we watched a show where a Canadian tourist riding round Oz hit a tree in the dark that had fallen across the road. He survived but I don't think there was much in it.
Pete.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Sedums great for more exotic trees and climates, you need an awful lot of them for more typically British trees.
Fortunately our garden has them a' plenty. I harvest them and hang them in bundles under the porch of the garden cabin.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions