Nylon fishplates

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
JickettyCan

Nylon fishplates

Post by JickettyCan »

Hi guys,

Got a problem! Now i understand that nylon fishplates are for isolating tracks and as i understand it, points, crossovers etc - anywhere the train can switch from one track to another that has it's own controller - right?

Well we have two ovals. The inner one then has an inner track which goes round and then crosses over (diamond) the inner track and rejoins the outer track. So, i used the nylon fishplates at the end of the inner track where it joints the diamond crossover. Trains are not going over smoothly - infact they'll even stop!

Any ideas please or have i got the entire concept wrong?

Thanks
Ironduke

Re: Nylon fishplates

Post by Ironduke »

It depends on the track. Is it Hornby? They probably don't need insulated fishplates unless you have a reverse loop or something going on. Can you provide specifics on the track plan and track in use?
Got a photo?
Regards
Rob
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Are both circuits on a single controller, or do the inner and outer circuits have separate controllers with their own mains transformers? If it is two independent controllers then between the isolating rail joiners and the large insulated crossings of a diamond it's pretty easy to end up with some of the loco's pick up wheels 'beached' such that there's no complete circuit for either of the controllers to supply current to the motor, and so it stops.
JickettyCan

Post by JickettyCan »

Bigmet wrote:Are both circuits on a single controller, or do the inner and outer circuits have separate controllers with their own mains transformers? If it is two independent controllers then between the isolating rail joiners and the large insulated crossings of a diamond it's pretty easy to end up with some of the loco's pick up wheels 'beached' such that there's no complete circuit for either of the controllers to supply current to the motor, and so it stops.
I did experience that at first, i had the nylons between the points and the diamond lol so i moved them to the other side of the diamond. It then seemed okay but became a bit random. Anyway having tested the hell out of it with the multimeter, i decided eventually that it was the contact under one of the point blades at fault - readjusted it and so far it seems to be okay again. Time will tell..