Old design from 2011 inventing it's own future

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
Daniel

Old design from 2011 inventing it's own future

Post by Daniel »

No much words needed, I think, but if you have any questions, comments or critics I will listen with all attention.

Image4 11 2011 020 by d.caso, on Flickr

It has two piano hinges...

Image4 11 2011 015 by d.caso, on Flickr

Image4 11 2011 019 by d.caso, on Flickr

Image4 11 2011 018 by d.caso, on Flickr

Image4 11 2011 016 by d.caso, on Flickr

In principle the heigh of the rolling column should be determined by the doorway of the room, but if it is not gtoing to go too often through any door it may be taller and pass any door a bit inclined.

Also a removable wheeled platform instead of fixed (pivoting) wheels as in the drawing would work.
My wild option would be no wheel at all and simply lay on the ground a folded blanket so one can move the colum on and push or pull.

The width or the height of the layout itself (not counting the wooden box) must be though so it doesn't get too tight for passing the doorway.

One could have a layout, say, 190cm long X 55cm wide X 35cm tall that, folded, would occupy only a footprint of 60cm X 40cm.

Again, if you have any questions, comments or critics I will listen with all attention.

Daniel
My new Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/

My old Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daniel_1_32_scale/page223

Being right is one thing, but being true is quite another.
Bigmet

Re: Old design from 2011 inventing it's own future

Post by Bigmet »

Neat compact concept. Some suggestions.

Just a pair of height adjustable feet are required on the top of what will be the outside edge of the 'fold down' box, rather than another set of wheels. These will help prevent the layout being moved too much when in operational mode.

Also, the open face of each of the two boxes could have a cover to protect the layout when in transport mode: which covers when removed would attach to the layout ends, and with inbuilt height adjustable feet would act as stabilisers for the operational mode.

The layout's control gear, and possibly some stock boxes, could be on the inside of the covers, located to 'nest' in spaces in the layout scenery.
Daniel

Re: Old design from 2011 inventing it's own future

Post by Daniel »

Bigmet wrote:Neat compact concept. Some suggestions.

Just a pair of height adjustable feet are required on the top of what will be the outside edge of the 'fold down' box, rather than another set of wheels. These will help prevent the layout being moved too much when in operational mode.

Also, the open face of each of the two boxes could have a cover to protect the layout when in transport mode: which covers when removed would attach to the layout ends, and with inbuilt height adjustable feet would act as stabilisers for the operational mode.

The layout's control gear, and possibly some stock boxes, could be on the inside of the covers, located to 'nest' in spaces in the layout scenery.

Thank you, Bigmet.
That's an excellent feedback

The adjustable feet are certainly a better option than wheels for the fold down half of the box.

Yes, the covers' importance I had learn from the experience with "PONDÉZAR".
They also are very important if the layout is going to be loaded for transport because will help to hold the box in shape so decreasing the risk of twisting while, for example, bringing the three floors douwnstair and such.

Using the two covers also as legs is another good idea.

I doubt there will be any layout control gear. Whatever I build will bew wireless and all points handoperated.
The only wires would be for lighting and that only in case I decide to go for it which is in serious doubt because wires and I seem to have a hate-hate relationship causing a kind of psychological sparks that could spoil all fun. :roll:

Again, thank you for the excellent feed back!

Daniel
My new Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/

My old Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daniel_1_32_scale/page223

Being right is one thing, but being true is quite another.