My first baseboard experiment

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
Tigcraft

My first baseboard experiment

Post by Tigcraft »

So, totally new to this as I posted earlier in the welcome section. I’ve very limited space and a wife who bought me a flying Scotsman OO for Xmas which don’t go together very well but I’ve been building this and I need some track layout ideas. I’ll be running two loops in a ‘corner style’ and I’ve mostly got first and second radius space.
FFFDA2B1-7B65-4DF9-9FD3-DD1FB69F6760.jpeg
BB269E38-02F8-454A-B195-0FBD173B0F70.jpeg
B2E8767A-276B-4D46-A7B2-8E2D83E614CE.jpeg
8A8618B2-B1D2-4407-BAF8-3243AC6ECEDD.jpeg
AD9D969D-E5C0-4CC4-8A38-0261274CD8D7.jpeg
It’s 2.5m x2.5m. I’d like possibility a viaduct on one loop and ideas do maybe a small figure of eight on the ‘square’ circle if anyone thinks it’s doable.
This layout is this shape as it will run in our loft room and through a simple banister that’s why there’s two square holes through it
Raboliot

Re: My first baseboard experiment

Post by Raboliot »

Very impressive. A great work.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Certainly the most tailor-made baseboard I've seen - looking forward to seeing it in practice.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Tigcraft wrote:... This layout is this shape as it will run in our loft room and through a simple banister that’s why there’s two square holes through it
The 'made to measure' construction is impressive. One question: if the mention of a banister implies a stairwell in very close proximity, make sure to put a 'fence' around any layout edge in the vicinity, against the moment when locos or stock might depart the track. I have seen the result of a loco leaving an attic layout and finding its way to the ground floor down a stairwell, and 'bits and piece about sums it up: and that's before we consider the possibility of it hitting an occupant...
Raboliot

Post by Raboliot »

Ex-Pat wrote:looking forward to seeing it in practice.
Me too ! :D
Tigcraft

Post by Tigcraft »

Bigmet wrote:
Tigcraft wrote:... This layout is this shape as it will run in our loft room and through a simple banister that’s why there’s two square holes through it
The 'made to measure' construction is impressive. One question: if the mention of a banister implies a stairwell in very close proximity, make sure to put a 'fence' around any layout edge in the vicinity, against the moment when locos or stock might depart the track. I have seen the result of a loco leaving an attic layout and finding its way to the ground floor down a stairwell, and 'bits and piece about sums it up: and that's before we consider the possibility of it hitting an occupant...
Ah yes good point about the ‘fly off the track sections’ I’ll make sure something will be built into those bits.
Tigcraft

Post by Tigcraft »

I’ve a customer of mine who may help me out with used track which I’m seeing sometime this week. I’ll take the base board over and assemble it there as at least it can fit in my van dismantled. That way I’m not paying through the nose for track that I won’t need as I can see this being a money pit but a ‘nice’ money pit.
Wife’s just got me a couple of miniature oo scale cars to start the ‘Period’ furniture up. I hope I can include her into my new hobby as House and garden builder. I’ll persuade her it’ll help build a fantastic memory for the grand kids. I think after this week I’ll have a better idea of powering it all up.
Tigcraft

Post by Tigcraft »

OH I FORGOT TO ADD.......

I’M EXITED! that’s what it’s about isn’t it?
Tigcraft

Post by Tigcraft »

Base board now fitted in situ.
3DE7111A-9999-44F5-96C1-0168745FA5C5.jpeg
D97E8E81-A4EA-4727-B507-0E26A273BA92.jpeg
6CB87EA0-12A3-4CA0-AE99-C6B2CF24ABB0.jpeg
So ready to rumble.......
Tigcraft

Post by Tigcraft »

The other thing I mentioned was I got offered some track to start me off but that turned out
1,Very rusty as it was in a wet shed
2, damaged and ropey with broken bits
3, different depth on some which were not compatible

There were a few sets of point which I salvaged and restored to good but on the flip side at least it helped me make ‘sub section’ templates so I can order either new or as good as new and I learned a lot from it.
1A0EA85A-6EF8-4CED-9296-3BA0D05767F9.jpeg
09424DAB-155B-4E4A-BBE0-B1BAE1CFD140.jpeg
LukeTrainsPlanes

Post by LukeTrainsPlanes »

I purchased some pre owned track to build the inner loop and track to termination station based on the midi mat. Mine is quite rusty/coroded too as its english built hornby track, its being cleaned with pure alchol and a track rubber so will hopefully be ok...
Roger (RJ)

Post by Roger (RJ) »

If the rusting is bad enough to cause pitting it is likely to give very poor running but if it is only light surface rust it should be usable after cleaning with the track rubber followed by IPA.
Tigcraft

Post by Tigcraft »

I don’t mind a bit of light rusting for that ‘patina’ look but these are scrap. Bit like putting a set of kerbed buckled and corroded alloys on a brand spanking new car as opposed to brake dust looking.
LukeTrainsPlanes

Post by LukeTrainsPlanes »

Roger (RJ) wrote:If the rusting is bad enough to cause pitting it is likely to give very poor running but if it is only light surface rust it should be usable after cleaning with the track rubber followed by IPA.
it is reasonably rusted kind of wish i just got new track now cost me £30 for the pre owned should of just paid £60 for new
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

If track is galvanised steel give it a wide berth, it requires almost endless cleaning, even Hornby were convinced in the end to make the switch to nickel silver. Nickel silver still needs cleaning, but a cloth and IPA (isopropyl alchohol) or meths is all that's needed. You don't have to polish off the continuously forming rust.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions