Minitrix Britannia, replacement motor

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
markS&D

Minitrix Britannia, replacement motor

Post by markS&D »

Hi folks, my father owns a couple of Minitrix locomotives that he bought in 1977, a 9f, and a Britannia, he placed the Britannia on the track, to give it a test run (it’s been in its box for 20 years) there was a bright flash and a plume of smoke from the motor. Does anyone know if it is possible to get a replacement motor and where from?
Bigmet

Re: Minitrix Britannia, replacement motor

Post by Bigmet »

Try Gaugemaster, but don't be surprised if the only source of spares are from other Minitrix models that have been broken up. The design of the model must be roughly fifty years old, and mechanism technique has moved on significantly since. (Careful with the 9F. introduce a tiny amount of light oil into the mechanism's gears and axles, and then turn over the mechanism by hand to free it up first if possible before putting it on power.)
railsquid

Post by railsquid »

Might be worth checking if https://tramfabriek.nl/ has any options; they provided a range of replacement motors for upgrading older models.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

That's a great link, and for more than just the immediate Minitrix question; have bookmarked it thanks!

I believe the UK Minitrix mechanisms all originated from mainland European N models, and since Tramfabriek have motor replacements for a couple of the smaller Minitrix mechanisms listed, the next step would be to ask if they have plans for an equivalent motor replacement for the pacific mechanism.
markS&D

Post by markS&D »

Thanks for the replies, it seems to have fallen to me, to look for an answer to this problem, my father is very advanced in years so to speak, and is not up on computers or internet.
When I looked at the motor, it seems to have melted the brushes onto the commutator, not sure exactly why, it’s been in its box for at least 20 years.

The 9f is another story, it ran ok in reverse, but forward, was a total disaster, there was a horrible grating sound from the chassis, resulting in the 2 rearmost driving wheels ended up out of allignment with the front 3!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

markS&D wrote:...The 9f is another story, it ran ok in reverse, but forward, was a total disaster, there was a horrible grating sound from the chassis, resulting in the 2 rearmost driving wheels ended up out of alignment with the front 3!
That description suggests the axles are all gear connected, and a couple of the gears and/or wheelset assemblies have failed unfortunately.