Flashbang

Re: [Hornby] How To Build A Baseboard

Post by Flashbang »

Bufferstop wrote:
I've just ordered it ! :lol:
Now is that a Warren Truss or a Pratt?
More like the latter I feel :o :D :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

The only way the Hornby layout will work in a practical way is if one already has a flat level supported surface in which to put it on.
The strange thing is that with either some diagonal cross bracing, or if the wood is double its depth... Either way would create a half decent baseboard so I just do not know why Hormby suggested making this one. It is just too floppy. One is better buying an inch thick 8x4 chipboard and using it as it is without a frame while sat on a cupboard or smaller table. I did this for quite a few years with success when I was young and it was a slightly damp enviroment. It worked ok, but I would not try this with a thinner more flexible board. Thinner boards need frames to keep them rigid. This board Hornby has shown is not rigid enough. Actually, if it was chipboard of a suitable thickness it would be ok with that frame.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

@ Raboliot, I fear your education has been saddly lacking especially in respect of Trusses and Pratts. Enter the magic words "Bridge Truss Types" in your favourite search engine and become enlightened. :wink:
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

If you've built a baseboard with the thin battens shown in that clip, especially if it now has track fixed down. There is something you can do which will stiffen it up, but will increase its weight somewhat. Cut or have cut two approximately six inch wide strips from 6mm ply each 12mm longer than the board and two more the same length as the board's width. Screw and glue them to form a frame around the board. You can then fasten it either permanently with screws and glue or temporarily with a greater number of screws to the edges of the board. It's up to you whether you have the top flush with the surface the bottom flush with the bottom of the frame or something in between. If you want even more rigidity you can go for a central scenic background or a high level road down the centre hiding a similar stiffening beam.
I'm afraid if you want lightweight and portability you need to start with a different design. There are a number of designs to look. At all take the approach of multiple smaller boards locked together, two worth looking at are rigid insulation blocks edged with thin play and small upturned plywood trays with deep sides, There are more, it really depends on your abilities or depth of wallet.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Raboliot

Post by Raboliot »

Bufferstop wrote:@ Raboliot, I fear your education has been saddly lacking especially in respect of Trusses and Pratts. Enter the magic words "Bridge Truss Types" in your favourite search engine and become enlightened. :wink:
I saw the Light ! :D :D :D Truss bridge
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Definitely a Warren Truss as opposed to a Warren Quadrangular as used on the Wellington bomber fuselage.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester