Bigger figure 8 layout

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
Raboliot

Bigger figure 8 layout

Post by Raboliot »

Hello Happy Members ! :D
I already built a little figure 8 layout (60 cm x 120 cm): https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 32#p689383
Now, I'm planning to build a bigger figure 8 layout (80 cm x 160 cm). What is the right thickness for the incline plywood ? 8 mm, 10 mm or more ? Many thanks in advance for all your comments and advices.
Mountain

Re: Bigger figure 8 layout

Post by Mountain »

It all depends how vunerable it is. Ones trains themselves are not heavy so one could in theory get away with thick card, but for the day to day knocks that layouts get, one needs something more durable, so ply is ideal. For the base part of the layout I tend to go for durability so I would be heading for 12mm at a guess with 8 or 10mm with the upper sections but it really depends on the framework of the layout as with a figure of 8 layout one can build it in an open frame way where parts of the track will drop below baseboard height and parts will be above, if one is clever enough to think along these lines in how to make it durable and stiff enough to make it work.
Raboliot

Re: Bigger figure 8 layout

Post by Raboliot »

Thanks for your reply Mountain. The baseboard is made with three pieces of 15mm chipboard and two square sections wood (37 x 37 mm) that I already have in stock. I'll use 8 mm plywood for the inclines. Just for the fun, the track plan:
TVFYYbtgbgu.jpg