2021 Range

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Bigmet

Re: 2021 Range

Post by Bigmet »

Of recent introductions I can put my hand up for Hornby's W1 in final streamlined form as BR 60700. They haven't completely lost it: unlike the LNER 'Hush-hush' form with water tube boiler, this is all around good, looks, measures and performs well; much less trouble to alter to the way I like my tender locos with the correct spacing between loco and tender, than Bachmann's similarly good V2. (Probably dodged a bullet by deciding agin Hornby's Thompson pacifics, just too ugly to appear alongside Doncaster's classier productions.)

If no one else has got around to it, I'll report on the 9F in ER form with the BR1F tender when one comes my way.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Bigmet wrote:...If no one else has got around to it, I'll report on the 9F in ER form with the BR1F tender when one comes my way.
That as it turns out is going to be a while off yet, as my preferred retailers don't have any to sell, and I am not supporting Hornby's attempt to deprive their long term retail partners of their share in 'good news'. (I was able to obtain both Hornby's new W1 and Bach's new V2 off retailer's shelves this year.)

There doesn't seem much doubt that the new 9F is an overall good item, (although it's hard to completely filter out some of the 'axe to grind' and 'committed fanboy' attitudes that clearly influence some of the commentary) but I want to actually look at one for myself to see if any of the detail errors bother me. Let's be clear, it's overall superior to the Bachmann 9F's I own, but one of the aspects that I have noticed as model toolings have improved is that an error that would have gone unnoticed on a poorer model, is often an ugly blot on a superior model. And the question that then arises is 'can I see a way to easily correct aspects that are not right and bug me?' and that really does need eyes on inspection of the item, which brings us back to ability to buy the item from the retailer's shelf...

So, anyone here bought a new Hornby 9F and willing to share thoughts and experience?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The new tooling versions of the P2 2-8-2 have appeared, so some day a streamlined double chimney job will come my way, hopefully. What I want is it in wholly fictitious BR lined green, let's see if Hornby - home to Coca Cola liveried wagons and 'steam punk abominations - are able to square a ficititious livery with their corporate conscience...
Phred

Post by Phred »

Bigmet wrote:
corporate conscience
Oxymoron?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

The new P2 (I chose 2003, streamlined with Kylchap double chimney) has had its infant mortality testing and is now packed away so that I can be 'surprised' at Christmas.

For all their troubles, Hornby haven't lost it when it comes to making good models, this one is right up there with their very nifty B12/3. Ran very sweetly straight out of the box, and like the rather similar looking final form of the W1 probably has the potential to pull the side out of a house. It had the not unexpected characteristic of a long coupled wheelbase of negotiating the curved roads of points harshly (nothing smaller than 36" radius) and I do wonder how reliable it will be on set track, which Hornby claim it is good for. I like the simplified speedometer linkage, no actual connection between the rods and the frame, yet looks the part; a sensible compromise which anyone that wants to can improve if they wish.

What I am going to tinker with, first the loco to tender link. This one looks like it may be adaptable to close up the loco to tender spacing to scale, which I will have a go at while also doing the necessary for the flanged Cartazzi truck wheelset to fit to see if it will still go through my 36" ruling radius.(Sensibly Hornby have put a very radiused cross section tyre on the unflanged wheelset, which shouldn't catch on rail sides.)

Lovely item overall, for anyone wanting a monster for their layout. Can Hornby be persuaded to eventually produce these in fictitious BR lined green; which the class would have received had they not been rebuilt?
centenary

Post by centenary »

Rails of Sheffield re appointed official Hornby supplier. Must have been Kohler who blocked them for discounting products below RRP! Now he's gone, the obstacle has been removed. Just a presumption on my part though.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

An outbreak of common sense, whatever the cause. It might even prove infectious, let's see if Bachmann restore Hattons as a stockist. I doubt that Hornby or Bachmann have seen any commercial benefit from reducing their exposure to potential customers.
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

centenary wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:38 am Rails of Sheffield re appointed official Hornby supplier. Must have been Kohler who blocked them for discounting products below RRP! Now he's gone, the obstacle has been removed. Just a presumption on my part though.
I thought it was because rails were commissioning locos and so Hornby classed them as a rival manufacturer?
centenary

Post by centenary »

Buelligan wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:43 pm
centenary wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:38 am Rails of Sheffield re appointed official Hornby supplier. Must have been Kohler who blocked them for discounting products below RRP! Now he's gone, the obstacle has been removed. Just a presumption on my part though.
I thought it was because rails were commissioning locos and so Hornby classed them as a rival manufacturer?
Could be although other retailers have produced locos and wagons etc and not been stripped of official retailer status. Still begs the question, who was behind that policy and stance at Hornby?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

centenary wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:54 pm ...other retailers have produced locos and wagons etc and not been stripped of official retailer status...
The Hornby/Rails and Bachmann/Hattons disagreements were turf wars: both the retailers were independently producing a rival loco model to an item in the manufacturer's range, a Terrier and a class 66 respectively. The only other retailer producing loco models independently quite recently appears to be Kernow MRC, and their chosen subjects have not overlapped with existing models.

There's no objection to a retailer commissioning from any brand; it's 'going it alone' in direct competition to the brand offerings that Bachmann and Hornby appear to have been determined to squash. (And I do feel this was done in concert by these two RTR brands. to 'send a message', in case anyone wonders...)
centenary

Post by centenary »

Bigmet wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:03 pm
centenary wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:54 pm ...other retailers have produced locos and wagons etc and not been stripped of official retailer status...
The Hornby/Rails and Bachmann/Hattons disagreements were turf wars: both the retailers were independently producing a rival loco model to an item in the manufacturer's range, a Terrier and a class 66 respectively. The only other retailer producing loco models independently quite recently appears to be Kernow MRC, and their chosen subjects have not overlapped with existing models.

There's no objection to a retailer commissioning from any brand; it's 'going it alone' in direct competition to the brand offerings that Bachmann and Hornby appear to have been determined to squash. (And I do feel this was done in concert by these two RTR brands. to 'send a message', in case anyone wonders...)
Personally, Id summise 2 shops, each only producing a single loco already in production with a major supplier is small beer and not much competition compared to the price discounting and therefore impacting the manufacturers direct sales income.

True, retailer's discounting can be argued that it doesnt affect the money they pay the manufacture for wholesale cost of stock. However, Id wager the vast majority of people take one look at the manufacturer's direct sales RRP and buy instead from the discounting retailer.

As with all thesethings, there's probably an element of both, turf wars and discounting, that lead to those manufacturers hissy fit.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

centenary wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:39 am... However, I'd wager the vast majority of people take one look at the manufacturer's direct sales RRP and buy instead from the discounting retailer...
That's true for me and for most I am sure. But the game Hornby in particular is playing is restricting availability through retailers, so it's pay full price or go without. That gets the money from the addicts that must have the 'latest and greatest'!
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Was the Riddles BR std 2MT 2-6-0 a 2020 announcement? Whatever, it is here now and overall very well executed. Heavier than the Ivatt/LMS 2MT from Bachmann thanks to the metal body that Hornby have used, which will deliver better traction; the Bachmann which must be a 15 year old design was a little light on its feet.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Back to the new P2 model, very impressed with Hornby's chosen compromise to secure an almost true scale coupled wheelbase by having the tyre diameter in well worn state. The coupled wheel flanges are extremely close together, all very neatly done; and the resulting 1mm overlength coupled wheelbase of the model is only detectable by measurement. Come on Hornby, gizza P1 while you are in 2-8-2 mode...
Alexander Court

Post by Alexander Court »

I asked Hornby via their youtube in a live episode of signal box if there 88DS would be due anytime soon (being 2 and a half years late!) and they said it should arrive in the next few weeks (if that's to be believed that would be any time soon) but we shall see.
I preordered mine in the New Railway Modellers Shop about two years ago now when the model was already late, as I wanted it for Christmas that year, I wonder if I will get it for Christmas this year?

Alex.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"