n gauge layout design

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.
Jules59

n gauge layout design

Post by Jules59 »

N Gauge Plan

2.0M x 0.81M

Having finally gotten around to designing a layout over furlough I thought i would post it here for positive comment / critique
The intent is to create 2 continuous main line loops and an independent branch line loop. Also i would like to " stock " the board with alternative carriages and wagons which end i have added some carriage sidings and albeit a very small goods yard. On the same premise a have created a turntable and round house to create engine diversity.

Operationally im not looking to achieve anything other than a working model without basis of actual running practices in other words a model railway .

As my stock is some 30 year old minitrix and farish I have opted for a minimum radii of 298mm ( PECO SETRATCK 2ND RAD ) and will have to work out analogue wiring logisitcs ha ha .

The layout has been designed in Solidworks using full scale points and crossings etc as i got fed up of trying to use anyrail or scarm.

I look forward to any comments on my FIRST post

Jules
Attachments
LAYOUT 4 CROSSING CHECK.JPG
COMPLETE LAYOUT 4.JPG
Byegad

Re: n gauge layout design

Post by Byegad »

Welcome to 4ge fun!
Looks good for watching the trains go by with some shunting possible. I have something similar, but my outer 'loop' isn't a loop but and end to end connected to the central loop. That way I can watch the trains pass by, and whenever I want, do a lot of shunting and turning engines. That's my take, but it may not be to everyone's taste.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

It is interesting. You have been doing a lot of thinking.

I have a lot more experience in 00 then I have with N gauge as I have only ever made a little layout in N that sat on an old but good condition TV stand. I ended up giving it to a friend who was about 10 years younger then me.
But I did find that in 00 gauge, if anything was going to de-rail, it would normally be on a curved point, so I only put curved points in if I had no choice, and then they would be in sidings rather then on my main running lines.
Other then that, your plan looks great but anbitious.
You will need to work out track sections (Zones) for the electrical size (I assume with old Minitrix locos that you are wiring for DC operation), so that you can wire it up using the cab control method? You could use common return as well if you have suitable controllers but if not or if in doubt, ordinary cab control will work fine.
Other then that, it looks good.

My personal style would be to make a double track oval instead and put the oval in such a way that it runs at an angle to the board rather then running parallel with it. This takes away the "Square" look that many model railways have. I could not avoid it on my 7mm narrow gauge layout, so I use curves instead to break the square straight look. Another idea is to run a branch line junction towards the edge of the board to give the effect that the line goes elsewhere. It is purely for scenic effect and not for running trains though it could be used if a future extension is required.

In the past I would fill layouts up with my trackplans trying to fit as much as I could into them, but now I am older I tend to plan for a bit less track but a bit more scenery (Not that I have got that far as yet as I am very slowly still building my latest one).
The temptation is to try to build a model railway to "House" all ones stock, but in my experience, even if one is still a beginner, one soon ends up with more stock then space! Even the real railways can end up in a similar situation at depots etc. For us we have our big crane like hands to lift our excess stock and put them in storage. Real railways do not have this luxury but they do usually have the luxury of space elsewhere on their system.... Unfortunately it is not always in the places they need it to be.

Anyway. Yes. It looks a good plan, and apart from possibly avoiding the curved point (N gauge enthusiasts may not have a problem with curves. I never had a curved point in N gauge as mine were in 00), and to say that the more track you have, the more costly it will be and also the more track cleaning you will need to do... But other then that it looks good.
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

Hi Thanks for the input I did originally want a two track and branch terminus with 2 continuous loops but realised that the up train would have to effectively reverse back into the terminus which from past experience causes derailment over points and crossings and is a pain operationally. Hence as you say the ability to run 2 continuous 4 / 5 coach trains without them chasing their tails was a better decision I felt. I may expand the goods area but I feel I have loads of " straight line track already. In respect of the curved points these are very gradual and effectively streamline long curved in n gauge. I did try the Set track ones but my older farish and Minitrix derailed instantly so im going to swap or sell these. Also most of the expensive point work and crossings have been brand new in the loft for a number of years so my outlay on flexitrack to form curves and straights should be no more then £ 100.00.
As im limited in width the minimum radii the " straight " design suited the available space and the wish to make things a little more than just 2 locos running in ovals hence the mainline through platforms and the fiddle yard.
Yes the whole thing will be a wiring nightmare in DC but with the old " and yet mainly not run for more than a couple of hours" stock I have in plenty it made sense not to chop it all in for more expensive dcc.
I appreciate your comments tho and your overall praise at my first attempt although as you say ambitious !
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Reversing over pointwork is always the ultimate test. I know in 00 gauge, as long as ones stoch had the same size couplings and the points were laid flat it used to be ok, but then they went and spoiled things by adding those floppy NEM pocket couplings and it all became a disaster, especially when coaches started having the close coupling system AND the NEM pockets! One had no hope at reversing those!
At least N gauge having overscale couplings has a better chance... Or does it?

Couplings are the one thing with both N gauge and 00 gauge that need more work, and I have seen that there are attempts to address this. The only downside is that when a new more superior coupling be made, the time and cost to convert all ones stock is not going to be easy. But once done one can relax with good running and good looks (Hopefully).

When I moved to 7mm narrow gauge I had very little money to spend so I ended up making my own couplings which are cheap and simple to make, but I still have not yet converted all my stock.
Byegad

Post by Byegad »

Welcome to N gauge fun!
Looks good for watching the trains go by with some shunting possible. I have something similar, but my outer 'loop' isn't a loop but and end to end connected to the central loop. That way I can watch the trains pass by, and whenever I want, do a lot of shunting and turning engines. That's my take, but it may not be to everyone's taste.