Complete beginner wanting to get into n gauge

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Shetlandnewbie

Complete beginner wanting to get into n gauge

Post by Shetlandnewbie »

Hi all,
I am brand new to n gauge, but I have been offered a brand new, unused Kato starter set by a Japanese friend, but I know the voltages are different. I was supposed to collect it from him in person last month but Covid sabotaged my trip!!!
Is there anyone out there gets Kato track and rolling stock from Japan and can advise how i could make my gift work in the UK. I presume its just a simple transformer, but is it safe and easy?

Many thanks in advance for any help
heda

Re: Complete beginner wanting to get into n gauge

Post by heda »

Scroll down and you will find the controller, The description shows a different AC/DC adapter is required for OO gauge or N gauge
Dave

https://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/kato_track.html
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Japan's main electricity supply is 100V. You will need a new 12V power supply for the Kato controller. It's a standard analogue controller with a transistor output. Mine had an internal rectifier so could work off an AC supply. However they have recently revamped the design so the one you get might be different. Read the manual (if you can).

Kato locomotives will work on any standard train controller.
The points are solenoid operated but only have two wires. The points work by applying a burst of DC power in one direction or the other. I.E. by swapping the polarity of the power. Using the Kato point switches is the easiest way to do this.

Here's a pic of a controller and the point switches. I just used a readily available 12VDC 1A wall-wart but I'm not driving the trains directly with it. It's just providing an extra throttle for the DCC controller and power to the points.
Regards
Rob
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

heda wrote:Scroll down and you will find the controller, The description shows a different AC/DC adapter is required for OO gauge or N gauge
Dave

https://www.newmodellersshop.co.uk/kato_track.html
Yep that's the revamped design, KATO - SX Train Controller. Product Code: K22-018. Requires a smooth DC supply as shown.
Regards
Rob
Shetlandnewbie

Post by Shetlandnewbie »

Thats a great help - many thanks again!