Class 08

Discussion of large gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (1 gauge, O gauge, S gauge etc)
Mustang

Class 08

Post by Mustang »

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone is ok, I’m looking for some help if possible please.

I’m just starting the Class 08 form JLTRT but I’m having some difficulty locating where some bits go.

So I was wonder if any one has any photos showing the cab, or even detailed photos of the whole outside of the shunter.

I’ve managed to locate 99% of where all the lost wax bits go, but I have a couple of bits which I can’t locate where they go.

Nose lever, bogie box, side brackets.

Admin if this is in the wrong place sorry, please move to the correct area if needed

Thank you everyone.
Attachments
I believe these are correct
But I’m stuck as to where these go
But I’m stuck as to where these go
Buggleskelly

Re: Class 08

Post by Buggleskelly »

Well here's a location for one part. One of the four right angle pieces, second row down in your picture. Seems to be a control button on the right of the cab console.
Attachments
08 control.jpg
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Nice shout there Buggleskelly, I didn’t even think about them.

But it turns out the four piece go on the outside of the main roof section, two on either side.

The third piece down goes on the roof near the cab.

The Forth piece down goes under the front of the front grill.

So it just leaves the first piece, I can’t seam to find it anywhere..

Thank for look for me.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I can't help in answering your questions but I love to see the progress. Is a lovely project.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Here you go Mountain.

So heres what comes in the kit.

Closer look at the Lost wax parts.

The White metal parts.

Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Resin bits.

Slaters wheels.

Railtec Decals, in this case the wasp version.

Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Dry run to show what it looks like.

I'll be building the D3668 this loco is currently located at the https://swindon-cricklade-railway.org and a list of what they have there https://swindon-cricklade-railway.org/about/stock-list/
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

So these are the bits needed for the Cab interior.

Sanded the horrible sinkhole marking from the interior of the roof.

There is a big area I don't like and thats the floor area, as you can see there are two screw holes these are used to secure the lower framework to the main unit. This needs to be removable in case the unit needs repairing.

Mine won't be a working unit i.e. no motor as I don't have the room of O Gauge layout, but I will install a gear box just incase I ever sell the unit and the next person wants to run it.

So I'll be adding a wooden floor section that can be removed, the cab has a lot of detail, but I'll possible add some more later after I've found photos of the real unit.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

So I was looking at modelling this on the D3668, but I’ve noticed the RHS is different.

The real unit has 2 long doors at the front but my model has short doors and a cabinet/tool box/compressor unit at the front. So do I carry on with doing as the D3668 or try and find another version.

So the decals I have, have the following numbers D3045, D3668, 08534 or 09018 But I’m struggling to find good photos of these units.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Surprizing how many parts. Did you buy the wheels and axles seperately or were they in the kit?

Just to say those shunters. Many of them had little differences from loco to loco in regards to the positioning of things and other fittings. You mention cabs. Yes. Some had different cab designs and sizes.

Some early ones had no air or vacuum brakes along with other similar classmates, and as they had built so many of the things, they were the first to be scrapped or if possible sold (Quite a few were sold to other countries).
Some had vaccum brakes only and when the UK made the big change to air only they were candidates for use as donor locos for parts to keep the rest of the fleet going. Some were later air braked only I believe? Some were cut down for use on the Burry Port and Gwendreath Valley Railway (Note the miss spelt error on the word Gwendraeth due to a mistake when they went to get parliament permissions to build the line. There was also a Gwendraeth Valleys Railway nearby which was a seperate company and railway).
Some were cabless conversions to be run as pairs with a cabbed version for use in Tinsley Yard? Known as class 13. They had deep buffer beams.

Something that really puzzled me was that visually speaking, I have always been able to tell the difference between the class 10 Blackstone shunters and the early non fitted class 08's and I have studied and studied photographs and I do not know what I am looking at. I just do not know how I can tell the difference between the two as outwardly they look identical. I can do this with bicycles and cars as well though don't test me as sometimes it does not work! Haha!
Strangely I tend to have the opposite with people faces though. Prosopragnosia!

But anyway. Back to the class 08. Resin is a material I love working with. It is so forgiving if one has made a mistake and easy to work too. I like resin.

Sorry. I am writing too much now and have probably stated many things you already know, as I don't know a lot. I will let you build some more!
mossdp

Post by mossdp »

Mountain wrote:
Something that really puzzled me was that visually speaking, I have always been able to tell the difference between the class 10 Blackstone shunters and the early non fitted class 08's and I have studied and studied photographs and I do not know what I am looking at. I just do not know how I can tell the difference between the two as outwardly they look identical. I can do this with bicycles and cars as well though don't test me as sometimes it does not work! Haha!
Class 08 roofs slope down more than classes 10-12! The difference is difficult to notice until it is pointed out.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

mossdp wrote:
Mountain wrote:
Class 08 roofs slope down more than classes 10-12! The difference is difficult to notice until it is pointed out.
You are the first person who has answered this for me in a way that makes sense. I have seen a Blackstone shunter in real life and in pictures. Somehow I just knew. Now I know what my mind must be picking up on to tell the difference. Is there more of a curve?
mossdp

Post by mossdp »

Mountain wrote:You are the first person who has answered this for me in a way that makes sense. I have seen a Blackstone shunter in real life and in pictures. Somehow I just knew. Now I know what my mind must be picking up on to tell the difference. Is there more of a curve?
There is more of a curve if you compare both in pictures. Obvious if you know to look, but easily missed otherwise.
Lukesladd

Post by Lukesladd »

Hello mountain!
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Mountain wrote:Surprizing how many parts. Did you buy the wheels and axles seperately or were they in the kit?
I brought them separately, as indicated in the instruction as to which ones I would need.