Class 08

Discussion of large gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (1 gauge, O gauge, S gauge etc)
Mustang

Re: Class 08

Post by Mustang »

Grills made and test fitted.

Hardware all fitted and secure except for the ladders which I'll secure once painted.

Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Pickups and electrics fitted and all working fine. The motor will be removed and used to test my other models as I build them.

boxbrownie

Post by boxbrownie »

Just four wheel pick up? Plenty of room for centre pick ups as well, I think I might have gone that route.

I was lucky/unlucky enough to miss buying the JLTRT 08, I wanted one and almost pulled the trigger but then the announcement of JLTRT’s demise happened so I didn’t bother, have a Dapol and Bachmann anyway.....but now I have gone back to 4mm rather than 7mm.
Best regards David

Please let me know if anything in my post offends you......I may wish to offend again.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

You have lots of room with 7mm scale. I mean... Room in the chassis etc.
I know that some parts of the kit are resin and I know your model is intended for display, but is there some sort of ballast needed if one is building the kit to be a functional working model? My only real inroad into 7mm scale are my 7mm narrow gauge models, and I tend to add some weight where I can with the locomotives. One assumes there is more space in 0-16.5 compared to 00 but things do not always work out that way because cabs are more visible and other areas are, so there is less room to hide weight. Some locos have room. It depends on the design.
I like how you have built the kit. Nicely done!
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Hi Mountain, sorry for the late reply just getting back on with this build, I don’t do a lot over the winter months as it get to cold in the shed to build so I get on with my other hobbies.

Yes you could add weight to the inside of the main unit, no room in the cab but the motor is at that end so that helps weigh it down.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

There is one small issue I’ve found the main coupling rods between the wheels keep jumping out of sink which is coursing the wheels to stop.

Might be because I’ve not secured the wheel 100% yet only test fitted them.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Most likely. The wheelsets must all be reliably secured in the same quartering, and retained running true in their bearings to be sure of preventing the event you describe; as many of us will have found to our cost when building rod coupled mechanisms...
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Thank you Bigmet for the info
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Have another question regarding the coupling rods positions.

If the left hand side coupling is at 12 o’clock is the right hand side at 6 o’clock or are they both at 12 o’clock.

Cheers.
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Mustang wrote:If the left hand side coupling is at 12 o’clock is the right hand side at 6 o’clock or are they both at 12 o’clock.
Bigmet already answered this
Bigmet wrote:The wheelsets must all be reliably secured in the same quartering,
"Quartering" mean that the wheels must be offset by a quarter, so if the left side is at 12 o'clock then the right must be at 3 o'clock or 9 o'clock
Regards
Rob
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Oh thank you Ironduke.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Chassis done.

Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Cab interior done I've added some decals from my odds and sods box which makes it look better I think.

As it comes.

With the decals.

Didn't have the correct ones so I improvised these are mostly aircraft decals but I've painted the red on and also painted some black to cover some decal info.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Wasp Lines added.

These were a nightmare the decal once softened all cracked so I had to hand paint over the top to hide all the cracks
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Wasp stripes are difficult to get right. The 08 does not have a flat surface in which to apply masking if brush or spray painting. Your method is more promising but as you hae mentioned... It still is not easy!

I have a narrow gauge diesel I have yellow bufderbeams on and I am a bit nurvous to try! I once tried with a Lima class 08 via masking and brush painting and I was not really happy with the results.

Not an easy task. You have done very well.