Heljan - Hymek - headcode boxes

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
hawkmoon269part2

Heljan - Hymek - headcode boxes

Post by hawkmoon269part2 »

Hi - I purchased Heljan's 35291 which is Hymek number D7001. It seems that the reporting numbers in the headcode boxes are too small and I would like to replace them with slightly larger numbers/letters - from the inside, not gluing them on the top of the existing ones.

Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the plastic headcode panels and if so, how? I am not sure if they are glued into position or not, and whether they can be removed through the inside or the outside of the locomotive shell. On the inside of the shell there is a transparent plastic strip which may be glued into position, thus preventing the headcode panel from being moved at all. Any advice gratefully received. Thank you.
SRman

Re: Heljan - Hymek - headcode boxes

Post by SRman »

The originals just popped out to allow the headcode prints to be inserted from the front. The easiest way was to push the headcode 'glass' out from behind with a bent paper clip or something simlar, being careful to catch it before it goes int the carpet. I doubt that they have changed to gluing them in.
hawkmoon269part2

Re: Heljan - Hymek - headcode boxes

Post by hawkmoon269part2 »

Thanks - I wasn't sure and obviously didn't want to damage the loco, but I tried it this morning and with a little force, the headcodes popped out. They have now been replaced and look so much better.
Thanks for the encouragement!