Bulleid Leader proposed by KR Models for EOI

Ask questions or give advice on any other model railway Manufacturers and Gauges
mattmay05

Re: Bulleid Leader proposed by KR Models for EOI

Post by mattmay05 »

Indeed, sadly these days, when is good enough... for the price tag enough not getting in to prices now v then... but of course when someone is paying for a model of a locomotive then you would at least like it to be correct, and not just sort of look like it.

I mean speaking with a Bulleid expert they did list 18 items that required changing... problem is they have tooled it... so unlikely to be making any due to cost. So overall a bit disappointing, so decided to cancel my order this morning.

They did originally build one, although a second was built with improvements with a third I think part built before the project was pulled in 1950...

I am no expert on the Clayton either looks ok but I don't know enough about the prototype to comment on that particular model.
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I knew there were some good pictures of the monstrous thing online, and have now had the time to get around to making comparisons with the two EP photos. The ever useful Southern Railway e-mail group site has a useful array of photos:
https://sremg.org.uk/steam/leader.shtml

It should be remembered that a primary purpose of an EP is to enable checking of fits and alignment of the model's parts, so corrective adjustments can be made. Does it look like a body with tube train driving cab ends is propped up unfeasibly high above massive and large wheeled bogies? It's got that aspect of the real thing's appearance without a doubt; and if the body sat a little lower - a typical 'fit' adjustment - that would probably be better. I would like to know if the cases on the bogie sides over the axle ends are positioned as they should be, but have no drawing to reference, and the photographic views don't provide concrete evidence. Could be a lot worse is my feeling...
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Well indeed SREMG is a good place been using it for years, however there is also a very good book with a lot of information well worth grabing a copy if you see one... maybe I should of let KR borrow mine.

Of course... i do work in the industry 8) however when I spoke to them apparently it was to check the CAD.... which is odd... as we have 3D printing now that you can do that, rather than £40k of tooling.... which then turns out to be wrong meaning rather expensive corrections.
When I spoke to an expert in Bulleids and someone who helped Hornby / Bachmann with all things Bulleid, I did raise that the body shell looked high and that the insides wires ect.. maybe causing it to sit high or be twisted on the chassis...
It looks like it but it's more a cheap imitation at this point in time, when we raised various points... the response was not quite what we had expected... overall there was 20 points... from roof profile, to handrail placement, reverser, window size, details on bogies, body shell ect...

I got ... you will be wanting a refund then....
my much more informed friend... basically got well its artistic license... and you didn't find much wrong with it then..

I do wonder if this is more of a hobby for them... rather than actually making a decent model, so far the customer service and people trying to help is a big fat zero.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

mattmay05 wrote:... however there is also a very good book with a lot of information well worth grabbing a copy if you see one...
My wife is likely to do me an injury if I acquire another railway related book, and especially one that is not suited to my declared interest, which she well knows is GNR/LNER/BR(ER) steam, ECML operation thereof...
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Bigmet wrote:
mattmay05 wrote:... however there is also a very good book with a lot of information well worth grabbing a copy if you see one...
My wife is likely to do me an injury if I acquire another railway related book, and especially one that is not suited to my declared interest, which she well knows is GNR/LNER/BR(ER) steam, ECML operation thereof...
Well he did work at the LNER didn't he? :lol:
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

mattmay05 wrote:
Bigmet wrote:
Well he did work at the LNER didn't he? :lol:
Yes, but under the skilled supervision of a master CME...
SRman

Post by SRman »

Bigmet wrote:

Does your wife read enough railway literature to know the difference? :twisted: :lol:
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

SRman wrote:...Does your wife read enough railway literature to know the difference? :twisted: :lol:
She's a professional librarian, the grand daughter of a railwayman, and her first post was at a library run by a considerable scholar of railways. Whatever I obtain in the way of a non-fiction book is classified before it goes on the shelf...
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I suspect that there's a silent majority of wives and significant others who do take an interest in their partners hobbies. My wife hailing from Stockport, and attending university in St Andrews became quite expert on the WCML. We went to the Great Gathering banquet where one of the previous generation Hornby bean counters displayed his lack of subject knowledge to the obvious disgust of many of the companions.
John W
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
SRman

Post by SRman »

Bigmet wrote: She's a professional librarian, the grand daughter of a railwayman, and her first post was at a library run by a considerable scholar of railways. Whatever I obtain in the way of a non-fiction book is classified before it goes on the shelf...

OK, you're in trouble!! :lol: :lol:

My wife encourages me to buy all sorts of things that don't really belong. She takes no real interest in the subject matter herself, but likes me to be happy. What more could I ask for? 8) 8)
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

My wife likewise, she enjoys the model railway; coming from a family 'all girl' (sisters and cousins) they never had a train set and three of them really wanted one! I have to keep her in check, she typically wants a model of every steam loco we travel behind, so now we only go to preservation locations that major on LNER.

As for Pullman cars - of the right type for LNER and BR(ER) operation of course - all 28 on the layout are hers. I am not allowed to weather them at all, so it's a good job that the Pullman business had them cleaned after every run, unless force majeure intervened.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Apologies for pulling this up from the murky depths of the forum.

So there has been an update, some I assume hand decorated samples have been done, a Blue, Black and BR grey.
Some revisions made, I did have a look at the first EP back in March, wasn't fully convinced...
Revisions have been the cab window opening, also rivets have been added, although and unfortunately in the wrong place (front end), as it was flush riveted.
Wheels also wrong pattern...

delivery due end of the year (Apparently)

Speaking of Bulleids their 4DD has also been revised, roof shape, and end windows, the top passenger windows still a touch to low.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I have only seen photos of the recently exhibited model, and would observe that as a model of an 'ugly brute' the overall impression is pretty good. Looks like a tube train car jacked up on humungous bogies - bob on! Detail, schmetail; how many now living actually saw this crock?

The Bulleid-Raworth electric that Bachmann have newly announced as an OO release from their EFE operation will make an interesting contrast for SR traction unit completists.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Bigmet wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:48 am I have only seen photos of the recently exhibited model, and would observe that as a model of an 'ugly brute' the overall impression is pretty good. Looks like a tube train car jacked up on humungous bogies - bob on! Detail, schmetail; how many now living actually saw this crock?

The Bulleid-Raworth electric that Bachmann have newly announced as an OO release from their EFE operation will make an interesting contrast for SR traction unit completists.
Having read about it and have the book on it, and seen and handled it the only impressive thing is the weight, the rest not that impressed sadly.
The market they seem to have aimed at is the that will do it will sell because people will just want it and not care about the 27/30 areas that aren't right.
But there are unfortunately as mention very basic errors which show a lack of research or idea, as well as not knowing which version of Leader it is.

The Bulleid-Raworth I think is under the EFE banner as its a Kernow product, and know the guy who does that side and he knows his Bulleids, and its certainly one I had never heard of till I saw it.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

mattmay05 wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:13 pm ...The market they seem to have aimed at is the 'that will do' ; it will sell because people will just want it and not care about the 27/30 areas that aren't right...
Commercial judgement in my opinion. It cannot be expected to make massive sales so 'quick. cheap and dirty' was likely the plan from the off. There are plenty of less than particular potential customers among those interested in model railways.