I wonder what George & Robert would think now?

Post anything here that is related to taking Railway Photographs!

Moderator: saslord

Lancastrian

I wonder what George & Robert would think now?

Post by Lancastrian »

These photographs taken over a couple of years are of 'The Whiston Incline' that was a big problem during the Rainhnill Trials of October 1829 to all competitors with the exception of 'Robert Stephenson and Company' who built the Rocket.

The first wasn't taken by me, I may be old but not that old.

The final one was taken on Wednesday morning 11.02.2015

My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: I wonder what George & Robert would think now?

Post by flying scotsman123 »

I think they'd marvel at the progress made, and possibly be astounded that the original bridge and formation was still there!
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Lancastrian

Post by Lancastrian »

Ropers Bridge is the bridge that you are looking it was built by George Stephenson and is A Grade II Listed Building. Not far up the line is Rainhill Skew Bridge also built by George and also a listed building.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)
Chops

Post by Chops »

All done by pick and shovel.
Nessie rocks!
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Interesting comparison. Photos from the same location during the 20s, 30s and 40s would accompany it well.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

I once saw an article that stated that George Stephenson would have been totally a home with a BR standard Steam Locomotive built in the 1950s, but would be totally baffled by anything built today. That said I am sure that Stephenson would have been aware of the research being carried out by his fellow Royal Society member Michael Faraday, who had demonstrated the principles of the basic electric motor.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
End2end

Post by End2end »

Sometimes I stand in awe at some of the things built so long ago yet stand the test of time and are still in use today.
It really does show the ingenuity and pioneering nature of the human spirit.
How can you not be inspired by Brunel's amazing bridge over 100 years old and in CONSTANT use. :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

luckymucklebackit wrote:I once saw an article that stated that George Stephenson would have been totally at home with a BR standard Steam Locomotive built in the 1950s, but would be totally baffled by anything built today. That said I am sure that Stephenson would have been aware of the research being carried out by his fellow Royal Society member Michael Faraday, who had demonstrated the principles of the basic electric motor...
'Baffled' says it all, a profoundly technically ignorant journalist's assessment. The Stephensons and their like would have been profoundly curious and after ten minutes questioning a current engineer in the field would be ahead of the writer in having an outline understanding of the principles, and be all fired up to learn more! (Whenever I hear someone on University Challenge introduce themselves as "<insert name here> and I am reading English", my first thought is 'Really? I mastered that at nursery school'.)