The EWR.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
captrees

Re: The EWR.

Post by captrees »

Having finally got some new tarpaulins to cover the superceded machinery that they were supposed to send to Milnthorpe ages ago, the Shap Lime Works has put together a small train to run down to Milnthorpe. They have included 3 wagons of agricultural lime for a farmer at Benson's Knott. It took longer than they expected to load, and they were running late when they left the siding to join the West Coast Main Line at Tebay Junction. The weekly passenger train on the Stainmore line has been held up in the tunnel until the Ivatt 2-6-2 clears Tebay, and the level crossing has been closed to traffic on the A6 until the passenger train has passed.

There are only 3 passengers today. It is not a route that makes money, and Dr Beeching will shut it in a matter of weeks. There is only one carriage now. Two of the passengers are only going to Kirkby Stephen, and the other, a boot salesman, will go all the way through to Darlington.

The driver of the passenger train has already started edging forward out of the tunnel as the Ivatt joins the main line. His loco is a Fairburn 2-6-4, and he has seen the frustration of the car drivers waiting for the gate to open. He doesn't want to hold them up. He'll stay just long enough at Tebay to relax, have a cup of tea and a fag, and then he'll be off again.

On the way out of Tebay now, the Ivatt gets its photo taken by a young trainspotter with his Brownie 127, who gets a wave from the driver.

After Grayrigg, the Ivatt drives past farmer Postlethwaites barn, just as Gyp, the collie, is rounding up the sheep. The little train should get a clear run through to Milnthorpe. They could pull over into a siding at Hincaster if the next southbound train was catching up, but its only the Carlisle to Lancaster local, and it always runs late.

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I like those tarpaulins.
Specially the difference of the 'fabrics': the dark one looks much older material and the other two much more modern with synthetic fibers and the brighter reflection that causes.
Modeling convincing tarpaulins is something I must learn yet so will be bothering you with questions about how very soon.
Thanl ypou for sharing.

Daniel
My new Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/

My old Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daniel_1_32_scale/page223

Being right is one thing, but being true is quite another.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I like your backstory and the reimagining of an area I know well, although I don't fancy the gradient on the A6 over Shap.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Lovely scenes captrees. You have mixed some fiction and a lot of fact very well giving a realistic and believable appearance. An appearance that 'draws one into the scenery'. Well done.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

Nice result from the Brownie 8)
captrees

Post by captrees »

Thank you for the kind comments, team.
Daniel wrote:I like those tarpaulins.
Specially the difference of the 'fabrics': the dark one looks much older material and the other two much more modern with synthetic fibers and the brighter reflection that causes.
I merely followed the instructions of the bloke in the Youtube in that other thread. Using toilet paper may have made a difference, but in truth I fluked it first time. I used the only 2 aerosols I had that were tarpaulin colour, a household matt black, and a gloss silver automotive engine paint. I thought that silver might look too modern, and had no expectations the paint would work, but as you say, the textures of two different types of tarp resulted.
Bufferstop wrote:I like your backstory and the reimagining of an area I know well, although I don't fancy the gradient on the A6 over Shap.
There was a bit of trial and error involved in both the track and road gradients to make it all fit the space I had in order to give the desired look. Its obviously steeper than the real Huck’s Brow, but its about 1:4 which is achievable to drive. Of course from some camera angles it might vary, but the effect I wanted was something dramatic to show what it was like getting stuck behind those slow trucks. If you look carefully, near the mouth of that tunnel in the first photo, you can see the Leyland Clock. Remember?
glencairn wrote:Lovely scenes captrees. You have mixed some fiction and a lot of fact very well giving a realistic and believable appearance. An appearance that 'draws one into the scenery'.
Every picture tells a story, don’t it? One goes with the other. Now that the layout is near completion, I’m sure there will be changes and adjustments to suit different fact and fiction, each creating more realism. And its fun.
Stainsacre wrote:Nice result from the Brownie 8)
I have a feeling that we’ll soon be seeing a bit more from the trainspotting lad with the Brownie. It suits the era, and may even make things appear more realistic.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

captrees wrote:Thank you for the kind comments, team.
Daniel wrote:I like those tarpaulins.
I merely followed the instructions of the bloke in the Youtube in that other thread. Using toilet paper may have made a difference, but in truth I fluked it first time. I used the only 2 aerosols I had that were tarpaulin colour, a household matt black, and a gloss silver automotive engine paint. I thought that silver might look too modern, and had no expectations the paint would work, but as you say, the textures of two different types of tarp resulted.
Bufferstop wrote:I like your backstory and the reimagining of an area I know well, although I don't fancy the gradient on the A6 over Shap.
There was a bit of trial and error involved in both the track and road gradients to make it all fit the space I had in order to give the desired look. Its obviously steeper than the real Huck’s Brow, but its about 1:4 which is achievable to drive. Of course from some camera angles it might vary, but the effect I wanted was something dramatic to show what it was like getting stuck behind those slow trucks. If you look carefully, near the mouth of that tunnel in the first photo, you can see the Leyland Clock. Remember?
glencairn wrote:Lovely scenes captrees. You have mixed some fiction and a lot of fact very well giving a realistic and believable appearance. An appearance that 'draws one into the scenery'.
Every picture tells a story, don’t it? One goes with the other. Now that the layout is near completion, I’m sure there will be changes and adjustments to suit different fact and fiction, each creating more realism. And its fun.
Stainsacre wrote:Nice result from the Brownie 8)
I have a feeling that we’ll soon be seeing a bit more from the trainspotting lad with the Brownie. It suits the era, and may even make things appear more realistic.
I remember the clock and the Jungle caff. Just another old git here. :)
Pete.
captrees

Post by captrees »

Peterm wrote: I remember the clock and the Jungle caff. Just another old git here. :)
I never remember stopping at the Jungle Cafe. Probably because it was too close to home. I do remember stopping at the Eagle Caff - the old bus at Shap Summit. You can see it on the first pic above, just in front of that Ribble bus that is still climbing the hill.

But the clock is still around. Its been moved to the Brewery Arts Centre in Kendal. Which is a sort of coincidence because I lived next door to the brewery when I was a kid, and later went to work there.

Peterm

Post by Peterm »

I read about the clock being moved to Kendal and am glad to see it still in one piece. Thanks for the pic.
Pete.
Chops

Post by Chops »

Dynamic scenery. The cow chow looks very much like the corn silage we used to feed them. It was somewhat fermented, I rather imagine the herd was half drunk much of the time.
Nessie rocks!
captrees

Post by captrees »

I sent the boy with the Brownie 127 up to the summit of Shap to get some pics of the Eagle caff for that old git from Bribie Island.

The Ribble express bus is crawling up the last bit in first gear. The driver would like to stop for a cuppa, but he's straight through from Kendal to Penrith. Down in the quarry, the dragline crane is scraping out more limestone.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Even as late as '63-'64 there were cars on the road that would balk at 1 in 4, but could make it in reverse, their days were numbered! My first encounter with Shap was in '68 in a classic "coke bottle" Viva what changes that decade brought.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
captrees

Post by captrees »

My little mate with the Brownie 127 Tommy "the trainspotter" Blackenwhyte, has been getting very excited because a new loco has been spotted on the EWR.

What? A Princess Royal hauling a long goods train? Well it won't be on goods duty for long. Just testing. I think its the most powerful loco I have at EWR HQ. 20 trucks up Shap Fell was a breeze. Here she is seen blasting past an Ivatt running a small local goods train up Grayrigg Bank.

And another shot of her approaching Oxenholme.

I've been doing some ballasting, and I'll need to give the track a good clean before I let the Princess pull the Caledonian.
Daniel

Post by Daniel »

Beautiful !

Especially the first image won't let me go...!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/daniel_1_ ... ateposted/

Daniel
My new Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/158027525@N08/

My old Flickr:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daniel_1_32_scale/page223

Being right is one thing, but being true is quite another.
captrees

Post by captrees »

My new (to me) Princess Royal is a revelation. My newer City of Sheffield is a slug in comparison. Here she is coming out of the Shap tunnel running a double header with a Jubilee, and pulling 11 carriages.

Train traffic over Shap has been busy lately, and more banking engines have been pressed into service. The overflow from the Tebay banker shed now uses the Shap Lime Works sidings.