Bridge help needed

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Ken Shabby

Bridge help needed

Post by Ken Shabby »

Hi,
My current project requires a over bridge to be built which will disguise where the trains run into the fiddle yard. The curved back scene means it will be crossing the line at a angle. Here is a mock up
bridge1.jpg
As you can see road over the bridge is just a piece of thick card at the moment. Once finished it will be just a farm track/ footpath and not for road traffic. I 'm happy with the angle it crosses the line, but need some advice with the angle of the left hand bridge support.
I'm not sure it looks right
This 2nd picture has the scenery drawn in using my phone , hopefully to give you some idea of how I hope it will look
bridge2.jpg
Thanks, Ken
heda

Re: Bridge help needed

Post by heda »

I don't know if it's prototypical but it looks OK to me. It runs parallel to the track and supports the whole width of the road.
It may look better to you once it is clad in brick or stone and has some greenery.
Having said that don't commit to it yet, see what other members suggest.
Dave
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

I think it would look better with the right pillar rotatesd so it's parallel to the track. Evem with the bridge crossing at an angle, the pillars on every bridge I can recall have been this way.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

The abutment walls would be parallel with the line of the track, the wing walls would form a widening "mouth" to the opening then the bridge deck would be a parallelogram slightly overlapping the abutments. When they were electrifying the WCML where it past through the Birmingham area I must have looked at every darned bridge it went under and worked out how to let them rebuild it whilst our cables still crossed over it. Until we tried it I would never imagine that sixty feet of earthenware pipe stuffed full of cables could be lifted up by a couple of feet without breaking anything! Got to see a lot of blue brickwork that year.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Thanks lads I think I've got my head round it now, I will post a updated photo shortly.
Ken
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

This is how far I've got today. Everything is just balanced in the pictures and there is a lot of tidying and trimming to do, but I'm happier with the angles now. Once the structure is finished it will be covered in brick paper.
Ken
Attachments
bridge3.jpg
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

bridge6.jpg
I have now glued on the brick paper, and although I will have to re glue a couple of edges I am reasonably happy with the result.
The bridge won't be fixed in position until the track, point motors and ballasting is done, as I am concerned about smudging or damaging the brick paper. At the moment it's still in 3 parts and the narrow road across the bridge will be painted in at a later date.

Ken