Frog Juicers - Light Loco Problem

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
centenary

Re: Frog Juicers - Light Loco Problem

Post by centenary »

Dad-1 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:54 pm Why, Oh Why did I even try again !!
Ahh, sorry to bring this one back to life, but my Gaugemaster frog juicers are driving me mad (Again)

Latest story - Because I run small locomotives, slowly to very slowly & I was struggling with the modellers
space problem, I fancied making my own Set-track points. In fact on another layout I have 2 set-track crossovers
that limit it's use to a couple of 0-6-0's. Making up copper-clad code 75 track crossovers is quite easy, but initially
you want to do some proof testing.

So what's the easiest way of switching frog polarities on a loose piece of track ? Ahh I have quite a lot of redundant,
& even unused frog juicers. Simply wire into the suitable copper-clad sleepers, when fresh they did work, enough to
prove the actual geometry of the points worked fine, Remember we are bending switch rails and on set-track points
these are somewhat shorter.
Now many months later the darned juicers are simply not switching power in a way that my small 0-4-0's like.
I should have remembered ! Now to adequately test display both my 2 crossovers, plus a couple of scissors I will have to
mount on some board with tie-bar activated mechanical micro switches. The trouble is I now need to make a board, which
could easily become a layout which was not what I intended !!! Short cuts frequently don't work !!

Geoff T
The Gaugemaster frog juicers are very low power at 2 amp. I was considering them for my layout which I intend to run at 5 amp. Gaugemaster told me they do not recommend them for layouts using more than 2 amp and wouldnt warrant any repairs if damaged on a higher powered layout.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi centenary,

Interesting - I use 4 amp as my 'standard'.
I don't recall that being in their enclosed instructions, must see if
I still have a set.

Geoff T.
End2end

Post by End2end »

@Dad-1
Would this help?
https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/media ... /DCC80.pdf
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I know I'm decidedly old school with my electronic designs, but any circuit which does anything but disconnect when encountering its own supply being short circuited should be kept well away from any other electronic device, on the assumption that one on its own is tolerable two in the same circuit is asking for trouble. The smallest obtainable micro switches are easily hidden at the end of the tiebar, and have enough overtravel to make setting up no problem.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I was just being lazy - I knew the risks
With loose track formations you can't attach micro switches ...... Nothing to attach them to !!
You can dangle frog juicers on their connecting wires and on a scissors that's a lot of wires !!

I'm preparing for a January exhibition where I intend to do some track building and want to show
off some of my loose turnouts.

Geoff T.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

If you are working with loose track, in 00 at least, you can get away with a patch of 10thou plastic under the points then glue your microswitch to the plastic, there's plenty of overtravel to make adjustment less critical, and wires like those Peco attach to their points can be glued to the underside of the plastic. "Look for the simple solution" Short lengths of thin wire under the points aren't going to add many ohms if the rest of your wiring is of ample size.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions